topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Where has Clipmate Support Gone?  (Read 17981 times)

i_am_jim

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Where has Clipmate Support Gone?
« on: June 14, 2016, 05:45 PM »
I've been using Clipmate for a very long time.  It's been pretty much trouble free, but a little over a week ago it quit working right.  I restored the latest backup but it didn't help.  I've now written email support three times.  But, I get no response at all.  His website's there and apparently people can still buy it.  Does he sell it and just not support it?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Where has Clipmate Support Gone?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:45 PM »
This won't help with your current problem or import any existing clips, but if you feel like looking for a replacement, give my Clipboard tool a try and let me know any features you might be missing:
https://www.donation...pandspell/index.html

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:24 AM »
Has been a problem for a long time - noted here.
Forums closed in 2013 (iirc); never a good sign.
I liked Clipmate and it was generally stable and worked. But developers do have real lives and do move on sometimes. I've not found companies or groups to be better than individuals, and think these situations are just things we have to deal with. And better to be grateful for what we have/had than resentful. I haven't really moved on from Clipmate and use a number of programs that haven't been updated in years - and paid for them knowing that too - but have been using clipboard managers much less as a technique, possibly because of multi platform use. Mouser's program is very good and Clip Cache is recommended by many too.

i_am_jim

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 07:33 AM »
I guess my comment about that is, in my opinion he shouldn't still be marketing it if he no longer supports it.  I'm so dependent on it I'd be happy to buy it again to get support.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 08:15 AM »
I guess my comment about that is, in my opinion he shouldn't still be marketing it if he no longer supports it.  I'm so dependent on it I'd be happy to buy it again to get support.

I moved to clipboardfusion a while ago because of this.  https://www.clipboardfusion.com/

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 04:37 PM »
My duty clipboard manager is ArsClip, which is free, portable, and has a lot of power, much of it not very obvious.  I haven't tried Clipboard Manager by Outertech, but it looks good.  ClipCache is OK, but last time I checked, didn't have all the power of ClipMate.  But, the most bang for your buck, with good features, a good interface and good support, is mouser's own ClipboardHelpandSpell, which he mentions above.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 08:30 PM »
I've been using Ditto for a number of years (Yankee Clipper before that) and it has worked great except for an occasional fugue state (once every couple months), but I restart it and go on. Seeing this thread got me to looking around at alternatives.

The killer feature I use all the time is sending a clip to another pc. A couple of other clip managers will do something like that but not as cleanly - Clipboard Fusion syncs clips to its web site (!) to get to another machine, Clipboard Manager uses your choice of web drive, ArsClip requires all the machines to run from the same shared folder. And many seem to have (arbitrary and small) limits on how many clips they allow.

I'm open to change, but I don't want to lose functionality or add restrictions.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 08:51 PM »
So. as this thread has become just another "name your favorite clipboard tool here" discussion, I'll just add one more vote for ArsClip. Minimalistic yet handy. Tried Ditto before but failed to like it.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 09:15 PM »
His website's there...

I especially like the Testimonials on every page of the website... every one a junk link for some UK pharma site. :o
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

i_am_jim

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 08:55 AM »
This review of clipboard extenders rates ClipX best and CLCL next yet neither is mentioned by people here.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 09:17 AM »
This review of clipboard extenders rates ClipX best and CLCL next yet neither is mentioned by people here.

Keep in mind that that review is from nearly seven years ago.  CLCL's last update was nearly a year ago (and it was around ten years since the one before that) and ClipX's last update was almost eight years ago.  It could be that fewer DonationCoder folks are using those particular programs because of this.  As for me, I'm an ArsClip user.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 10:59 AM »
The reason that I use clipboard fusion instead of arsclip is the ability to share the clipboard realtime between all of my instances, and access it online.  I know that ArsClip has a Global Clipboard feature, but I haven't been able to find it detailed anywhere, and clipboard fusion was close enough to free ($5) and works.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 03:26 PM »

there is some good info from Abterix and others about CLCL in the forum if you want to get an idea of it (a simple search should find it)
Tom

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 04:39 PM »
I've used ClipMate for almost 20 years.  I love it.  When the developer went AWOL, I tried ClipCache.  I was impressed with how much better it was at handling graphics and unicode, but there were two features I missed so much that I went back to using ClipMate, and I have continued to use it happily.  The two features I use a lot and can't seem to live without are PowerPaste and the ClipBar.  PowerPaste lets me rapidly paste consecutive clips into a document, a form, a website, etc.  ClipCache has a similar feature, but I found it less reliable than ClipMate's.  As for the ClipBar, it sits on the bottom bar or task bar and shows me the most recent clip without my having to move or click on the mouse.  I simply glance at the ClipBar.  This way, I can always tell at a glance what will show up if I paste into something I'm writing. 

If I could find another program that offered these two features and a responsive developer, I might switch.  But for now, ClipMate meets my needs better than any other program I know.

i_am_jim

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 05:24 PM »
I hope it keeps working for you.  It was working fine for me until one day something happened. 

Are you used Windows 10 yet?

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 05:24 PM »
Re PowerPaste:  Check out the "stack" operations of our local Clipboard Help + Spell. 
========
From the help file:
CHS now has a stack system that will let you easily copy multiple clips into a stack (queue), and then paste them back out individually (or as a block) in a First-In-First-Out (FIFO) order.
This can be very useful when you have to copy a series of items from one location to another.
How it works:
The CHS stack works by keeping track of a "stack marker" that you can assign at any time, either BEFORE you start copying a collection of new clips, or afterwards.
At any time you can "pop" the oldest item in the stack and advance the marker, or paste the entire contents of the stack in one operation.
New clips are automatically added to the stack -- you don't have to do anything special to add them -- the only thing you have to do is set the starting position of the stack marker.
To set (or clear) the starting stack marker position BEFORE you copy any clips, use the custom hotkey (see hotkey options) or bring up the quick paste or tray menu and choose to set the starting stack marker.
To set the starting stack marker position AFTER you have copied some clips, bring up the quick paste menu and hold shift while clicking on a specific clip, OR bring up the main clip grid and right click on an item to show the stack submenu, and then mark the clip as the start of the stack.
Then you can perform stack operations (pop or paste as block) using the hotkeys or the quick paste stack submenu.
In addition to pasting as a solid text block, you can paste items with simulated TAB keypresses between then, which is useful for form filling.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Thanks, kunkel321, for this info about a PowerPaste-like feature in CHS.  I'm happy to know about this, but I found from my experience with ClipCache that even the presence of such a feature wasn't enough.  I found I used the ClipBar a lot, even when I wasn't thinking about it.  That feature more than any other brought me back to ClipMate.

skinny

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 09:33 AM »
First time post,

Been using Clipmate off and on for 10 years, was looking for the forums support but Google searched and found this forum post instead.

I downloaded the free 30 day trial and it just expired today.  The functionality seems to be mostly there, but some annoyances are there to get you to buy the software.  I bought it already a couple times over, but now there's a free trial if you sign up.

I am running Win7 and would like to get a new system with Win10 and still run Clipmate, anyone having success still running it?

About ClipMate - EXPIRED
Version: v7.5.26 build 136
Date: March 6, 2013
Language: English
License Information:

BEGIN LICENSE
Evaluation

I will go back and check out the links to the other clipboard utilities.

What I use the most: 

PowerPaste,
Appending clips (Ctrl Alt A),
Clean up Text Tool (very powerful esp if using regular expressions), http://txtformat.com/ is an online alternative
Safe (and folders for storing clips)

And I just love the sounds, the pops and effects from using it over the years.

Anyone still managing to still use Clipmate?  I don't think I can purchase it, but I will try using the Free Trial thing...

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 09:57 AM »
You might want to try our Clipboard Help+Spell, which has many of the same features.  I'm sure there would be a bit of a learning curve but who knows..

https://www.donation...board-help-and-spell

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 09:59 AM »
I have a ClipMate_7526_136.exe installer here from 2013, and I had a license for that. If I recall, I dropped it because Win8 didn't seem to like it (at leat on my machines)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Anyone still managing to still use Clipmate?  I don't think I can purchase it, but I will try using the Free Trial thing...

I'll have a look. Haven't used it for some years, but have licence and previous downloads. Never got round to trying it on 10.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 01:59 PM »
I have a ClipMate_7526_136.exe installer here from 2013, and I had a license for that. If I recall, I dropped it because Win8 didn't seem to like it (at leat on my machines)

-cranioscopical (May 29, 2018, 09:59 AM)

Same here, and dropped it for much the same reason.  Using Clipboard Fusion now.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 03:22 PM »
You might want to try our Clipboard Help+Spell, which has many of the same features.  I'm sure there would be a bit of a learning curve but who knows..

https://www.donation...board-help-and-spell
I've landed back with Clipboard Help + Spell.  I've tried many clipboard extenders over the years, but I always end up coming back to CHS.

EDIT:  I should point out that Clipmate is the only paid one I've used.  Some others include: ArsClip, Ditto, ClipAngel, Spartan, CLCL, ClipX.  I actually like the minimalist popup of ClipX and/or CLCL the best.  But for overall usefulness -- CHS. 

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 04:17 PM »
I especially like the Testimonials on every page of the website... every one a junk link for some UK pharma site. :o
Well, at least this seems to have been sorted.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 04:42 PM »

I'll have a look. Haven't used it for some years, but have licence and previous downloads. Never got round to trying it on 10.
Seems to work OK on 10, though I can't find my licence to see if it would still register.
If I were still using a clipboard manager, I would switch to CHS purely because of the support; it was a fundamental part of my workflows when I did and would have been a real issue If I needed support and it wasn't there (not that I ever did).