ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR for mac

<< < (2/3) > >>

Filipe Meira Castro:
Hi,

Spotlight is nice, specially the indexing makes it really fast.

FARR is really amazing for me, it is highly configurable, so I can add different priority for specific folders and remove others. With an hotkey FARR provides the history of recently opened files and also has a small toolbar for other apps. Would be really nice to have FARR on mac!!

The only thing Spotlight is better is the indexing that makes it really fast (even using it with an SSD drive which is my standard for many years, must have if using FARR!!)

Cheers :D

wraith808:
I was wondering the same thing as f0dder. Since moving platforms, I have found spotlight infinitely useful.
-Josh (June 05, 2016, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

You've totally moved to Mac?  How are you finding it?

Josh:
I was wondering the same thing as f0dder. Since moving platforms, I have found spotlight infinitely useful.
--- End quote ---

-wraith808 (June 05, 2016, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I am quite enjoying it. Yes, I could have purchased a lot more power for the same amount of money, but the machine works far better than any Windows machine I've ever used. Don't get me wrong, there are some app differences (Office for MAC does not equal Office for PC - Found this out in my final masters course). It is a very well thought out OS/hardware integration.

As a casual gamer, there are only a handful of games I cannot play but that seems to be shifting (a large portion of my steam games work). The biggest challenge was adjusting the habits I once had for Windows and adapting them to OSX. I now miss spotlight on Windows, I love the seamless virtual desktop setup, and I rarely have to reboot this machine. I still very much enjoy Windows 10, but OSX is a much better day-to-day OS for me, especially with rapid terminal access :) That said, I am looking to move my daughter's machine to a Mac Mini and get my wife a Macbook Air, eventually. My media server remains on Windows (The Linux distros still fail to handle some features I require otherwise I would turn that into an appliance) and my firewall runs pfsense.

f0dder:
--- End quote ---
-wraith808 (June 05, 2016, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
The question was for Josh, but let me chime in.

I've been exclusively using OS X (on decent, but overpriced, Apple hardware) for work, since October last year. For the stuff I do, there's some advantages to this - a lot of OpenSource stuff just works better on something semi-unix, since programmers are too lazy to write properly portable code... and homebrew *is* easier than hunting down all your tools manually on Windows (even though the combined OS X ecosystem is worse than package managers on Linux).

A lot of things are a bit too dumbed-down for my taste, and the OS is pretty unstable compared to any Windows release since Vista. I've had a bunch of gray-screen-of-death kernel panics doing such OUTRAGEOUS things as trying to drag a window to another monitor, or fullscreening a youtube video. And while the machine is silent under normal operation, it goes full jet engine (as well as thigh-scorching hot) when the GPU is involved.

Sans the "runs opensource easier", I see no reason whatsoever to run OS X - definitely wouldn't be doing it at home. It really isn't "easier" that Windows these days, it's less stable, and while MS are pulling some nasty stuff with Win10, Apple are even more evil. I'd be closer to moving the home setup to Linux than OS X :)

Tuxman:
homebrew *is* easier than hunting down all your tools manually on Windows
-f0dder (June 05, 2016, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

http://chocolatey.org  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version