ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Re: Autobackup with OneDrive

<< < (5/7) > >>

wraith808:
that would be a sync of your files as opposed to a proper backup (but I dunno, does OneDrive do versioning?)
-tomos (June 20, 2016, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed it does.  That's why I made my caveat above about it not being in use.  If I have the same document open at home and work in Word, sometimes it has a problem merging the deltas.

kalos:
do I need that dedicated drive? can't I just specify to back up in onedrive disk directly?
-kalos (June 20, 2016, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

that would be a sync of your files as opposed to a proper backup (but I dunno, does OneDrive do versioning?)

The way Clive is describing is doing backup -- with versioning of files, and that all then gets backed up to onedrive.
That's the way I do backup myself from my desktop:
backup to a second internal harddrive -- that all then gets backed up online and to external HD.

Obvious advantage is a better 'proper' backup, disadvantage is increased size of backup.
--- End quote ---

Yadis does the versioning, I don't need OneDrive to do the versioning
I cannot use second drive, I only have laptop
And can anyone explain me what is the purpose of the second drive really? I don't understand, as I said Yadis is supposed to send the files to the cloud versioned
I don't want to hold a local backup, I only need the cloud

tomos:
as I said Yadis is supposed to send the files to the cloud versioned
-kalos (June 20, 2016, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

you havent actually looked at Yadis, have you?
EDIT// AFAICS, it doesnt do that (ondrive would have to do that)

tomos:
My solution, like Clive's, is to make the versioned backup locally (can be to same partition if you want), and then sync/backup that online.
Otherwise you're depending on the online backup site's versioning (e.g. the basic dropbox software, or onedrive, or whatever -- which may be an option for you?)

Clive:
do I need that dedicated drive? can't I just specify to back up in onedrive disk directly?
-kalos (June 20, 2016, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

The way Clive is describing is doing backup -- with versioning of files, and that all then gets backed up to onedrive.
That's the way I do backup myself from my desktop:
backup to a second internal harddrive -- that all then gets backed up online and to external HD.

Obvious advantage is a better 'proper' backup, disadvantage is increased size of backup.
--- End quote ---

Yadis does the versioning, I don't need OneDrive to do the versioning
I cannot use second drive, I only have laptop
And can anyone explain me what is the purpose of the second drive really? I don't understand, as I said Yadis is supposed to send the files to the cloud versioned
I don't want to hold a local backup, I only need the cloud
-kalos (June 20, 2016, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
I use Onedrive as a third level of backup i.e. the last resort if all other backups fail. (That isn't what a lot of people use cloud storage for - they want access to their files no matter where they are, but there's only one version of that file if you like). If, like me, you only need backup and are prepared to forgo versioning then you could create a partition on your laptop which you assign to Onedrive and where you store all of your files. I believe that would be the closest to what you are trying to do

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version