ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TeamViewer hacked?

<< < (8/10) > >>

Stoic Joker:
So it would be entirely plausible that a brute force attack would be able to guess passwords.
-mouser (June 06, 2016, 12:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not entirely sure it is at this point. At least not at a really high rate of speed. Because that's one of the issues that the SRP protocol -(which they say they're use)- was designed to protect against, by only allowing one login attempt per session. So if the BF attempt has to keep creating a new session, that - I would hope - would/should serve to slow down the attack quite a bit.

Asudem:
Disputing the PayPal claims, bank is being difficult about getting the affidavit to me, the seller of the digital cards is being pissy. I've deemed my computer safe, thank god. I believe having "remembered" passwords which gave easy access to the hacker saved my computer If they couldn't get what they wanted as fast as they wanted, I believe they would have uploaded loggers, viruses, backdoors, etc...

I can just see the police looking at me if I try to file this: Yes I had someone somewhere in the world who used a burner email address and who was likely behind 40 different teamviewer computers steal $400 in untraceable iTunes gift cards. Please look into it for me, thanks?

I'll file it if you guys really recommend it but I think it's just more paperwork and red tape for no results.

mouser:
police not going to do anything.
but do push the bank, itunes, and paypal as they have the ability to reverse transactions.

wraith808:
police not going to do anything.
but do push the bank, itunes, and paypal as they have the ability to reverse transactions.
-mouser (June 06, 2016, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

The point isn't for the police to do anything, but have an official record.  That record of facts is important in the process.  And is a lot more cogent and indeed verifiable and generates more trust than something taken over the phone.  It's to preserve your rights, and theirs, and keep things above board.  I'd still recommend doing it.  I had something similar happen, and had to file a report.  It was a pain, but when they ask you to do something, I've found it's better to just bite the bullet and do it.

I'll just add one thing for those who aren't familiar with TeamViewer -- at least when i set up mine by default TeamViewer itself created a random password for remote access (rather thank asking me to type one in) and it was SIX characters long (and i believe it's just uppercase,lowercase,and digits).

So it would be entirely plausible that a brute force attack would be able to guess passwords.

Thankfully I do not leave TeamViewer running, and have only used it on occasion when traveling.  I have also set a long passphrase, so I should be ok, but I'll probably avoid using TeamViewer for a while just to be safe.
-mouser (June 06, 2016, 12:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

They're not talking about access passwords- those are generated on a per use basis.  They're talking about the master account password- a totally different animal.

xtabber:
TeamViewer has introduced some new features to make it harder to take over a user's computer from an unauthorized remote computer.

TeamViewer says that they were not hacked, and I tend to believe them.  However there is currently a thriving online market in passwords stolen from various sites (LinkedIn, Adobe, etc...), so perhaps the most important step in protecting oneself from hacking is to use significantly different passwords for different sites.  Long ones!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version