ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TeamViewer hacked?

<< < (2/10) > >>

mwb1100:
A more recent blog posting indicates that a trojan attached to a compromised Adobe Flash update package installs the TeamViewer client that is used to access end user machines:

- https://www.teamviewer.com/en/company/press/statement-on-the-appearance-of-the-windows-trojan-backdoor-teamviewer-49/

If I understand this correctly, this means that you don't have to have installed TeamViewer yourself. Or something. To be honest I'm not exactly sure what's going on, other than it doesn't seem to be anything good.

f0dder:
I know a few people who use TeamViewer that have, by chance, seen people taking control of their machines.

It's a pretty convenient application, but I really, really, really wouldn't leave it directly accessible from the internet all the time. I don't know if it has exploits, a weak/broken security protocol, or simply doesn't have any anti-bruteforce mechanisms built-in, but something's definitely too weak.

Stoic Joker:
The "careless use" disclaimer strikes me as a bit disingenuous when it's rather obvious someone is working their block quite hard. However that being said, I have long loathed the idiotic habit of 3rd party "Support" personnel installing remote access app X on everything from workstations to servers and then just orphaning it leaving people exposed by its then ongoing connection opportunity.

Any access hole poked into a network must be sealed the instant it is no longer absolutely necessary ...Period.

wraith808:
The "careless use" disclaimer strikes me as a bit disingenuous when it's rather obvious someone is working their block quite hard. However that being said, I have long loathed the idiotic habit of 3rd party "Support" personnel installing remote access app X on everything from workstations to servers and then just orphaning it leaving people exposed by its then ongoing connection opportunity.

Any access hole poked into a network must be sealed the instant it is no longer absolutely necessary ...Period.
-Stoic Joker (June 02, 2016, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was calling work for support while I was at home.  I access the work network by using mstsc through a portal to contact my work laptop instead of taking it home.  The support personnel said "can I install on your machine (whatever remote control they use).  I promptly said no.  Especially as the evidence I'd given them was more than enough to point to the true problem- something going on with the portal.  But even if it had not, I would have said no.  What they do with their own property is their business.  But the crap this stuff installs- from join.me (which has started to try to install when used) to omnijoin (the same) is really annoying for the use its put to, and this is a good example of why I feel that way.

Tuxman:
There is no sane reason to use TeamViewer which, by defaults, routes your shared desktop over U.S. servers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version