ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Hi, first post in the developers section

<< < (4/5) > >>

Ath:
Hm, being a mostly Java developer, with just some occasional .NET (C#) work, I didn't take a very close look, as I'm used to Log4J as a logging framework, so I intend to use Log4Net in my .NET projects. Though I've written similar loggers in older projects :tellme:

jumper:
Hm, being a mostly Java developer, with just some occasional .NET (C#) work, I didn't take a very close look, as I'm used to Log4J as a logging framework, so I intend to use Log4Net in my .NET projects. Though I've written similar loggers in older projects :tellme:
--- End quote ---

Hi, and thanks for posting. I always respect Java developers. I tried learning it once and just didn't do very good. I've heard of Log4 before. Is it free? I'm sure I can find out by searching though. Have a great day.

Ath:
I tried learning it once and just didn't do very good.
-jumper (June 02, 2016, 03:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Especially the GUI-part, when not building a web application, can be hard. I try to avoid Java-based-GUI applications where possible :tellme:

I've heard of Log4 before. Is it free?
-jumper (June 02, 2016, 03:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Like a lot of Java libraries, it's free and open source, Log4J just like the .NET port Log4Net.

jumper:
Especially the GUI-part, when not building a web application, can be hard. I try to avoid Java-based-GUI applications where possible :tellme:

Like a lot of Java libraries, it's free and open source, Log4J just like the .NET port Log4Net.
--- End quote ---

Yep, the GUI part is what I was trying to learn. I didn't do very good and found that understanding it at all had a steep learning curve.

Also, I tried Log4Net and couldn't get it to work. Right now, I'm making a Log class now and besides writing to a file, it will also write to the event log just as soon as I know how to do it :)

f0dder:
Yep, the GUI part is what I was trying to learn. I didn't do very good and found that understanding it at all had a steep learning curve.-jumper (June 02, 2016, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Frankly, writing GUIs in Java sucks - it's become a lot better with JavaFX, but all the old toolkits for it are bloody annoying to use, and until Java 8 (released in 2014) with lambda support, it was generally gruesome.

If you want to do desktop windows applications, it doesn't get much easier than .NET - especially with the Visual Studio tooling.

Java isn't a complicated language, though, and it's fine for a lot of stuff :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version