ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

svchost /k netsvcs [Problem on Win.7]

<< < (3/6) > >>

tomos:
^ very interesting, thanks app :up:
Wont get back to it till tuesday now probably -- I had already reduced windows update  to just notify -- will now turn off completely.
(So, I do end up following your advice miles :-)

A bit wary of not having an up-to-date machine for a basic user -- but it's better than a burnt out machine :)

EDIT// my own machine seems to be ok now -- just checked for updates, and it didnt arouse the CPU hogger.
Will sleep.

x16wda:
As a matter of habit I always do:   sc config wuauserv type= own

That causes Windows Update to at least run in its own separate process (after a reboot).

You could also try the Windows Update Troubleshooter from the link.

wraith808:
it's not clear/shown which service is acting up (or do you know a way?)
-tomos (May 29, 2016, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

The way I determine is to right click on the service, and choose go to service(s).  Then I stop the ones that are there one by one.  That has helped me to winnow out misbehaving services.

app103:
^ very interesting, thanks app :up:
Wont get back to it till tuesday now probably -- I had already reduced windows update  to just notify -- will now turn off completely.
(So, I do end up following your advice miles :-)

A bit wary of not having an up-to-date machine for a basic user -- but it's better than a burnt out machine :)

EDIT// my own machine seems to be ok now -- just checked for updates, and it didnt arouse the CPU hogger.
Will sleep.
-tomos (May 29, 2016, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have mine set to download, but notify before installing. I did not disable Windows Update. I only stopped the service when it started using too much CPU. That way it can start up again, on it's own. And I manually checked for updates after every reboot, and tried to install them (but usually failed, till after I changed ISP)

One thing I didn't think to do, at the time, was to take my laptop somewhere else that has free wifi, and try to manually run Windows Update there. If I had, perhaps the problem might have been solved sooner. (Or maybe not?)

So, if it's a laptop, that might be something you'd want to try, first. Either a friend's house, an internet café, or elsewhere, where you can use a different ISP to see if you can get it to download those updates it seems to be stuck on.

msteph:
Tomos, I recently had a similar (if not the same) problem with 'runaway' cpu usage slowing my system down considerably. 

This page let me find the offending svchost.exe and it was indeed Windows Update.  I've had the autoupdates turned off for a long time, asking for notice of their availability, but WU still must have been running wild.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/FiguringOutWhyMySVCHOSTEXEIsAt100CPUWithoutComplicatedToolsInWindows7.aspx

Using that showed the offender within the specific svchost instance was "wuauserv". Turned it off and the system was immediately back to normal and has remained that way.  It does mean Updates are off but I suppose one could turn wuauserv on occasionally, as mentioned, to get the latest updates then turn it back off.

This page also addresses the issue and mentions a couple of "KB" fixes but I haven't looked into that.

http://superuser.com/questions/821032/svchost-exe-high-memory-usage-wuauserv

Also a google of "wuauserv" shows a lot of apparently pertinent info, although I also haven't checked those.

Mike S.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version