ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Emulate a green monitor to reduce eye strain.

<< < (2/4) > >>

f0dder:
Edvard, that sounds like an idea - but the problem is the colors would have to be inverted first, otherwise you still get the same high intensity levels of black-on-white, except now it's just black-on-green...

Edvard:
maybe one has an "invert" option...

Ampa:
Thought of this thread again this week, and finally decided to do some experimentation...

Firstly I snuck downstairs to the theatre, and stole some green lighting gel.

* Yes - I actually do live above a theatre.
* No - I don't wear a mask and drop chandeliers on people.
Cut a section and stuck it over one of my screens. Took a photo.

Verdict: The photo doesn't do it justice. The screen goes green... very green! Deep saturated green. I certainly knocks off a lot of the glare, but having a second shiny reflective surface over the screen adds extra reflections of the room, and the monitor itself. Plus it hasn't achieved the real solution - green on black; but has given dark green on light green.

On to Edvard's idea...

Pulled up the nVidia control panel and quickly discovered that the Advanced colour options would allow you to completely invert the colour scheme...

Verdict: Total inversion generally cuts down the glare, but looks very odd indeed. Sites that use a lot of black, suddenly become very bright!

So a bit more twiddling to knock out (almost) all the red and blue gives a pretty good emulation of a green screen...

Verdict: Looks pretty good to me. Obviously a green screen has drawbacks - you certainly don't want to be doing any graphical work with this setup - but for reading text late at night, I found it very comfortable indeed.

mouser:
that's pretty cool.
might be nice if there was a script that could toggle that setting on and off.

Ampa:
I have done yet more twiddling, and further refined my Green settings - I shall see if there is a way I can attach them for the benefit of other nVidia users.

The nVidia system tray app (part of the standard Forceware install) stores any colour adjustments that the user makes, so changing between 'normal' and 'green screen' only takes two or three clicks.

Interestingly if I try to take a screen-capture of the green effect, the shot comes out in normal colours. I guess that the adjustment is performed as the signal is sent to the monitor, rather than to the image in video RAM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version