ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

advice on security setup for my elderly inlaws

<< < (5/5)

dr_andus:
...I'm not coughing up hundreds of dollars for a new machine...
-Target (May 09, 2016, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can pick up a new one from Amazon for a hundred and a bit (and refurbished and used ones from various manufacturers' outlets probably for less)

...I'm looking for some recommendations that don't involve replacing a perfectly good machine...
--- End quote ---

Maybe it's not a "a perfectly good machine" for the given use and user, if it's causing you so much trouble.

Depending on how many hours you spend on supporting this machine, and what your hourly rate is, you can calculate at which point might a Chromebook pay for itself.

But that's me done bigging up Chrome OS.  :)

4wd:
...I'm not coughing up hundreds of dollars for a new machine...
--- End quote ---

You can pick up a new one from Amazon for a hundred and a bit (and refurbished and used ones from various manufacturers' outlets probably for less)-dr_andus (May 11, 2016, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're forgetting that not everyone lives in the USA, this includes Target.

So find something decent from a seller that ships outside the USA, add shipping costs in USD, then add ~35-40% (currently) if you want to pay either using USD (to cater for the banks ripoff exchange rate) or AUD (to cater for Amazon's ripoff exchange rate).

That hundred and a bit isn't quite that any more, is it?

Plus unless you can also find one that offers true International Warranty, any warranty is probably no longer valid or if it is you're usually stuck with international shipping back to the seller and the attendant possible months long wait in the hope that something is happening.

Besides which, it's more cost effective to install ChromeOS on your existing equipment.

dr_andus:
Sorry, didn't realise we're talking AUD.

Besides which, it's more cost effective to install ChromeOS on your existing equipment.
-4wd (May 11, 2016, 11:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

NeverWare's CloudReady is a good solution in terms of cost and usability, but keep in mind that it is not identical with Chrome OS (that is Google's brand and version that is specifically made for Chromebooks), though it is also based on the open source Chromium OS.

AFAIK it does look indistinguishable from Chrome OS in most respects but there are a few features that don't work on it (can't remember if it was Netflix or something like that), so it's worth checking it out first. And I'm not sure if the security is comparable to Chrome OS--that's another thing to look into.

But anyone I've heard of that tried it was raving about it, as it can breathe new life into decrepit laptops, so CloudReady does seem very useful and interesting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version