ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Good or bad password?

<< < (2/3) > >>

4wd:
Q: Is "Remember to pay gas Aug 14" a good, as in secure, password?-tsaint (May 11, 2016, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd add some non-alphanumeric characters, eg. Remember! Pay gas bill, 14/08.

You could also keep it as Aug 14 in plain sight, just remembering to switch it to 14/08. for when you need to enter password.

wraith808:
Q: Is "Remember to pay gas Aug 14" a good, as in secure, password?-tsaint (May 11, 2016, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd add some non-alphanumeric characters, eg. Remember! Pay gas bill, 14/08.

You could also keep it as Aug 14 in plain sight, just remembering to switch it to 14/08. for when you need to enter password.
-4wd (May 11, 2016, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Along those lines, instead of adding non-numeric, I've just replaced the spaces with another character, so that the words are delimited by that character.

tsaint:
Thanks for good ideas. My REAL password actually involves part of a friend's car number plate, which she USED to own (how paranoid is that?)
 What's now making my head spin tho, is that without a priori knowledge, isn't my passPHRASE actually a passWORD? (I hear Baynes calling). I see on various sites, entropy levels are different.
And Mouser, without knowing brute force passphrase cracking methodology, would having the mis-spelling early in the "pass-phrase" improve things?
This is all academic really but I'm interested - I've taken all the suggestions onboard thanks.

Stoic Joker:
My REAL password actually involves part of a friend's car number plate, which she USED to own (how paranoid is that?)
-tsaint (May 12, 2016, 03:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

She should probably be very paranoid about the creepy old guy that keeps memorizing her license plate number... :D

But seriously the key to pass phrases is that the words should be completely non sequitur, but mnemonically associated with something by you.

So if your favorite movie scene involved a duck on a bicycle in the rain, the pass phrase for it might be.

Ride Cloudy Mallard!

tsaint:
Creepy, old part is right, but in my defence, it's only numberplate memorization standing between me and senility

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version