ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Boost as a symbol for the npm'ness of C++

<< < (2/2)

Tuxman:
if you need something (non-trivial) that somebody else has already written, there's a good chance you won't be doing a better job at re-implementing the wheel.-f0dder (May 08, 2016, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

If somebody else has written e.g. a Markdown parser class in ~ 250 LOC which depends on Boost, there's a good chance I can do it in ~ 250 LOC too and without several GiB of additional dependencies. (Which is what I did when I wrote this rant.) Third-party code is OK for me - third-party code with a trailing dependency hell is not.

I like to be able to debug my own problems.

phitsc:
We've had issues using std::regex on arm (bugs in the std library coming with gcc). We've been using boost on the respective project anyway though.

There have been efforts to modularize boost. Don't know what state that is in though. I could imagine this being non-trivial, especially with so many individual authors involved.

Tuxman:
gcc's stdlib is its own problem, indeed. I admit that I try to avoid gcc whenever I can, so probably my actual question is invalid for that compiler.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version