ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Designing Personal Sites - Programming POV

<< < (4/6) > >>

wraith808:
I feel like I want a site and not a blog.
-Asudem (May 22, 2016, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

What's the difference from your perspective?  My resume site is a site- I don't post updates or anything, it's just for information.  But it's built on wordpress.  Wordpress has changed from being a blogging platform a long time ago.

Stoic Joker:
What about static site generators? https://getnikola.com/ (python) or jekyll (ruby) - plenty more here https://www.staticgen.com/.-Lintalist on Today at 09:22:42 AM
--- End quote ---
After handling my old job's static website for years, I am going to pass on any kind of static website, unless someone can prove to me they don't have to be a huge pain in the butt to update one line of code across all the files/pages-Asudem (May 22, 2016, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had a PHP static page site for years that wasn't an issue to manage, but the site pages consisted of:

<?PHP
InsertHeader("Page title"); // included beginning of body content container
?>

//// Body content went here

<?PHP
InsertFooter(); // included ending of body content container
?>

As a quick-N-dirty framework I thought it worked rather well.

mouser:
I think Wordpress would be a pretty good choice.  It would let you focus on writing the content and not have to worry about the rest, with lots of choices for themes.
If you find a good reason to switch after you get started so be it, but without a compelling reason to choose something else, Wordpress is a nice flexible, painless solution.

I think part of the decision comes down to whether you want to have "fun" with your site's content management system and find one that really speaks to your heart -- or whether you want to focus on the content and not devote too much mental energy to the workings of the content management system.  Wordpress is a good choice if you want to get down to the business of making pages and think you might someday decide to write regular blog entries.

Joomla seems like overkill for what you want.

40hz:
One tool you might find very useful for evaluating various blog and CMS systems is something made by a company called Softalicious called AMMPS. It's basically a web software stack with their Softalicious installer that lets you quickly install 394 different web apps such as portals, CMS systems, blogging platforms, web discussion forums, wikis, etc. All the majors are there.

I've used it a lot in the past to get something quickly set up for evaluation or prototyping. Highly recommended. And it's free.

as far as doing your own site, the best advice I can offer is put the polish and the pizzaz on the package towards the end. As clean and professional site that is elegant in it's simplicity and clarity trumps an ooo-ah! site 7 days out of 7 IMO. Business buyers want the information quickly. So be a little careful how clever you get in the name of personalization. When in doubt KISS still rules.

Luck!

Asudem:
What's the difference from your perspective?
-wraith808 (May 22, 2016, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
I feel a blog is a mindless template which creates little to no skill to create by it's user. It's not impressive nor has a "wow" factor but simply exists to be a voice on the internet. A blog is about it's content, not it's design.

I think Wordpress would be a pretty good choice.  It would let you focus on writing the content and not have to worry about the rest, with lots of choices for themes.
-mouser (May 22, 2016, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
But I don't have content to write. I have code examples and programs for download, but who honestly goes through someone's portfolio to read the fine details and not just the bulletpoints? If I can't get their attention with a bullet and a screenshot, then I've already failed in my opinion.

One tool you might find very useful for evaluating various blog and CMS systems is something made by a company called Softalicious called AMMPS. It's basically a web software stack with their Softalicious installer that lets you quickly install 394 different web apps such as portals, CMS systems, blogging platforms, web discussion forums, wikis, etc. All the majors are there.
-40hz (May 22, 2016, 04:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not seeing ASP.NET nor PostgreSQL in there, both of which I am currently using. On my server.  :(

as far as doing your own site, the best advice I can offer is put the polish and the pizzaz on the package towards the end. As clean and professional site that is elegant in it's simplicity and clarity trumps an ooo-ah! site 7 days out of 7 IMO. Business buyers want the information quickly. So be a little careful how clever you get in the name of personalization. When in doubt KISS still rules.
-40hz (May 22, 2016, 04:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
I do like that advice... but I guess I really need content for my website before I can add this pizzaz. I'm just not sure how to showcase the aspects of what I've done in a career form.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version