ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Designing Personal Sites - Programming POV

<< < (2/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
I have not even installed RocketCake yet.  But the description is intriguing.  It may be worth a look.
-MilesAhead (May 10, 2016, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Damn, that does look interesting. Especially since my site has been in limbo for the past year (or so...) because I took it down after deciding it was total shit...and can't for the life of me decide what to do with it.
-Stoic Joker (May 11, 2016, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

If nothing else, the name is cool.   It is hard not to download it.  :)

Asudem:
I still can't find anything solid, and Joomla! is just going to become a moneypit with all it's extensions. Anyone got any more ideas? I don't care if I need to learn a new language, but I'd like something with a little flexibility and something I can build from.

MilesAhead:
Something here may give an idea:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/html-templates/

But if you want to get down to the metal I would find a good html/css forum and pick the brains of the pros there.  If you are willing to do the html and/or css they are willing to help you get around the obstacles.  If you use a design tool then your are pretty much limited to getting help with that one tool.

One of the frustrating bits about going the html and css route is that various browsers have quirks how they interpret the markup.  Most notorious is IE.  Since Microsoft is the 800 LB gorilla you cannot say "IE is non compliant so screw IE" if you are doing web pages for a living.  :)

wraith808:
I still can't find anything solid, and Joomla! is just going to become a moneypit with all it's extensions. Anyone got any more ideas? I don't care if I need to learn a new language, but I'd like something with a little flexibility and something I can build from.
-Asudem (May 21, 2016, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've had this particular dilemma before, and have finally found that there is a reason that wordpress is so popular.  It just works, can be altered pretty easily to be what you want with themes and plugins, and you can get help easily.  I've recently changed to paying for ghost hosting, because wordpress is such a target, and that's the bit you exchange the commonality of it for.

But that would be my suggestion.  Go with something that is easily hackable and widespread.  Especially if it's just for personal use.

Deozaan:
I second Wordpress. There are entire marketplaces of themes, many are free, many are not. And if you dig into the source code, you can, of course, customize the look of Wordpress yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version