ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Designing Personal Sites - Programming POV

(1/6) > >>

Asudem:
Greetings all,

So I have taken the plunge to host my own site to beef up my resume, and I've run into a little bit of a problem. I am a coder, and not much of a designer.

Right now, I'm throwing code at my website and seeing what sticks based on my own personal tastes. I could go on Fiverr and get some designs by paying someone else, but honestly that just doesn't feel as personal.

What I'm asking is if there's any rules you guys follow for UX and design as a programmer? Sometimes what makes sense and is logical to us isn't always the case for others, so I'd like to see what kind of feedback I can get here.

Any help is greatly appreciated!  :D

MilesAhead:
The dilemma I run into is the desire to try some templates on one hand, and the desire to avoid tools that produce unreadable html on the other.  I am not a web programmer, much less designer.

But one way to get some structure without paying may be to look at some of the free web page editor/designer tools that come with templates.

I have not even installed RocketCake yet.  But the description is intriguing.  It may be worth a look.

But I agree.  Programmers often make lousy "super users."  They tend to see the program from the inside instead of the UI.

Asudem:
The dilemma I run into is the desire to try some templates on one hand, and the desire to avoid tools that produce unreadable html on the other.  I am not a web programmer, much less designer.

But one way to get some structure without paying may be to look at some of the free web page editor/designer tools that come with templates.

I have not even installed RocketCake yet.  But the description is intriguing.  It may be worth a look.

But I agree.  Programmers often make lousy "super users."  They tend to see the program from the inside instead of the UI.
-MilesAhead (May 10, 2016, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you very much for the suggestion, which looks absolutely worth checking out!

Something I discovered this morning is Joomla! which appears to be a pretty elegant solution, however I am dreading setting it up on my amazon cloud server, but if it's really worth a shot it's worth a shot.

MilesAhead:
For awhile I was tempted to buy SiteSpinner.  It looks like it can do quite a bit for $50.  Another reason I actually installed it and messed around with it a bit was that the trial only counted the current day against the trial period if you ran the program that day.  IOW, if you don't open it for a week you do not lose a week from the trial.  At least that is how it worked when I tried it.

I never did get going too much with web creation.  I went in the other direction and used Dir2html to generate an index.html file.  :)

Stoic Joker:
-MilesAhead (May 10, 2016, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Damn, that does look interesting. Especially since my site has been in limbo for the past year (or so...) because I took it down after deciding it was total shit...and can't for the life of me decide what to do with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version