ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win 10: the terrible CompatTelRunner is back!

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
C:\Windows\System32\CompatTelRunner.exe  :(

Big Win 10 update yesterday, ("update", not "upgrade", I was already running Win 10), but now the terrible CompatTelRunner is starting with Windows, and it is using far too much CPU, from 0% up to 80%, and ever so slowing the use of Windows. After it has done its job, it will close until next Windows launch.

"ThomasJohnson-977" phrased my problem quite well:

>>Wondering what CompatTelRunner.exe is doing on my computer?<<

ThomasJohnson-977: >>I have upgraded to Windows 10 Home from Windows, and my disk is maxed out for 20 minutes on startup every time I start it. So I decided to dig in and found dozens of svchost.exe running, which slowly disappear and dozens of CompatTelRunner.exe start to run. All of them are open to random files throughout my pc. I almost can't even use my pc while this happening because to start something requires disk I/O and there is no bandwidth. Memory isn't full and CPU is 4% or less but I still can't do much during those 20 minutes. Resource Monitor shows the tasks are running in the background, but they are preventing me from doing anything in the "foreground". ANNOYING! When it's done' everything is working just fine.

When I did the upgrade, I said to NOT share anything with MS, except errors. So I don't know what it is doing. I thought at first maybe it's some sort of AV, but the name of this exe just doesn't jive with that. If this is about Windows 7 Compatibility, why is it still running after upgrading, and why on every boot up?<<

ZigZag3143 (Windows & Devices for IT Pro MS -MVP) replied on MVP Insider Community Moderator Wiki Author Completed Training MCC: Content Creator MCC: Content Curator Conversationalist Launch expert - Windows 10 Most Recommended Discussion

>>That is the compatibility update for win 7 RTM.<<
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977759
-answers.microsoft.com
--- End quote ---

"compatibility update for win 7 RTM"? Hmm... maybe, maybe not.  :-\

I don't use "Metro" and I don't have any "apps" running, (only real programs...), so I have no use for this new old thing.

Any one else having problems with CompatTelRunner the first few minutes after Windows has started? 
Tips on how to get rid of it?
:tellme:

ConstanceJill:
Hi there .o/

Not sure if that is applicable as I don't have any Windows 10 machine available to test, but under some machines running Windows 7, I've noticed there are scheduled tasks (in taskschd.msc) that seem related to that stuff, under « Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience » and under « Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement program ».
Try disabling those tasks and rebooting?
I'd also disable the "diagnostics tracking service" aka diagtrack service if it exists.

Blackbird Dev:
Hi Curt,

I don't wanna sound like a promo-tool but our software unintentionally resolves issues with CompatTelRunner.exe.
A user in this thread > (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34026421) apparently had similar problems.
When I say "unintentionally" I mean that the software we provide targets telemetry as a whole, so keep that in mind.

You can check us out at http://www.getblackbird.net

Curt:
Thank you, Blackbird Dev,  :up:  it's a wonderfully useful, little (<½MB) program, you have there!
--------------
post after-edited:

It's sad that I didn't notice the errors that I have today, when I first ran Blackbird, yesterday. But now I cannot access Explorer until it has given up on opening some program. Because of the lack of access, I don't even know what program that is - except the problem has to be due to Blackbird! Right now I am very disappointed - and very embarrassed for having lured others into this BlackHole. Sorry! -Curt (April 28, 2016, 03:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
--------------

Run once:

Blackbird V6 (version 0.9) http://getblackbird.net [email protected]

==WHAT BLACKBIRD DOES==

> Disables OneDrive
> Disables Cortana
> Disables Bing-integration
> Disables Wi-Fi Sense
> Disables Windows/Office Telemetry on all Windows versions

> Disables Xbox Live services
> Disables web content evaluation / URL check-in ("SmartScreen")
> Disables Windows Media Online DRM
> Disables Windows P2P Update sharing
> Disables all application metric-data collection agents

> Disables all AutoLoggers
> Disables Start menu ads
> Disables Windows Error Reporting
> Disables Diagnostic Tracking / "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" service
> Disables WAP-push Message Routing service

> Prevents all location/contacts/handwritting/password sharing
> Prevents cross-device synchronization
> Prevents device meta-data collection
> Patches various data-leaks (IE/EDGE/Defender/Explorer/MRT)
> Removes Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)

> Removes your unique Ad-ID tracking token and disables further Windows advertising profiling
> Removes GWX and all Windows 10 Upgrade triggers, icons, messages and other nagging
> Removes Windows 10 Upgrade setup files on Vista, 7, 8, 8.1
> Removes a bunch of Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 telemetry updates
> Blocks 130+ different tracking/telemetry/ad servers (supports IPv6/IPv4, Wifi/Eth)

> bonus (some) Youtube, Skype, Facebook ads blocked

==USING BLACKBIRD==

> Double-click blackbird.exe, > Click Yes if prompted by UAC, > Blackbird will perform a quick security scan (green means good - red means bad), > Press Enter to apply, > Get some coffee (optional), > Reboot the computer when it's finished. All done.
-Blackbird readme
--- End quote ---

Blackbird Dev:
Thank you, Blackbird Dev,  :up:  it's a wonderfully useful, little (<½MB) program, you have there!
--------------
post after-edited:

It's sad that I didn't notice the errors that I have today, when I first ran Blackbird, yesterday. But now I cannot access Explorer until it has given up on opening some program. Because of the lack of access, I don't even know what program that is - except the problem has to be due to Blackbird! Right now I am very disappointed - and very embarrassed for having lured others into this BlackHole. Sorry! -Curt (April 28, 2016, 03:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
--------------
-Curt (April 27, 2016, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hopefully we'll fix the issues you are experiencing. Auch, though
Continued in thread Anyone using Blackbird?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version