ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Custom dice for board games, etc.

<< < (4/6) > >>

Deozaan:
Now I just need to figure out how to cut out the individual images from the sheet efficiently and accurately.
-Deozaan (April 28, 2016, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
scalpel knife and steel ruler as a guide, on a sturdy backing like plywood?
-Ath (April 29, 2016, 03:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
^ a proper cutting mat/board will make it much easier (and wont blunt the blades so much).
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cutting+mat+graphics&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acutting+mat+graphics
-tomos (April 29, 2016, 05:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am going to check more local crafting/hobby stores for a hole punch today, but someone pointed this one out to me online, which looks like it may just be perfect for the job since it's just slightly smaller than 16mm and has rounded corners and everything:

http://www.little-windows.com/products/small-rounded-square-5-8-punch

Could you paint the colors, and then layer the stickers?-wraith808 (April 29, 2016, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess? But that would require transparent stickers or something, or else the stickers would cover the paint.

wraith808:
Could you paint the colors, and then layer the stickers?-wraith808 (April 29, 2016, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess? But that would require transparent stickers or something, or else the stickers would cover the paint.
-Deozaan (April 29, 2016, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I was figuring- but you can get stickers with just the cutouts, can't you?  I just figured I'd suggest as your designs don't seem to cover the whole side when the color is taken out of the equation.

Deozaan:
--- End quote ---

-Deozaan (April 29, 2016, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I was figuring- but you can get stickers with just the cutouts, can't you?  I just figured I'd suggest as your designs don't seem to cover the whole side when the color is taken out of the equation.

-wraith808 (April 29, 2016, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, but that seems like even more work and expenses: Buying paint and then hand-painting them. Buying extra special transparent stickers and then cutting them out in their unique shapes, etc.

Stoic Joker:
Try it backwards. Apply the stickers as originally planned, and then apply a clear/plastic coat to enhance durability.

Just be sure do some material compatibility testing first so you know the two wont react badly to each other (some paints may smear/lift/dissolve the sticker's ink).

Deozaan:
I had printed out a test sheet of paper to try to get an idea of their size, so I could find a hole punch, but all the dice I put up against it showed that my images were a bit too large by a couple mm on each side. So I was concerned I'd have to redo pretty much the entire image sheet.

But my blank dice arrived today and I guess these blank dice (16mm) are a little larger than "standard" dice (12mm?), as it seems to be a pretty close match on my test sheet of paper:

The images could be a few pixels smaller, but I think they're pretty good how they are, especially since the hole punch I ordered has rounded corners. But I'm not sure how big the hole punch will be on the paper, so I may need to make the images smaller anyway so I'm not cutting off a fairly significant portion of the borders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version