topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ActivePresenter: most powerful Screen Recording free solution  (Read 11014 times)

xbeta

• Friend of the Site
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • http://xbeta.info (blog of freeware)
    • View Profile
    • 善用佳软 the best freeware
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I used ActivePresenter for several years, and I think it's the best free screen recording solution. But comparing its high quality, there're only so few people know it. So I'd like to write something  for it.

For those who have researched a lot in free screen recording solutions, these are some candidates:
- WebEx recorder: small, easy to use, good for long time recording. hard to edit and publish.
- Camstudio: classic, open source, large video size, not updated for a few years.
- Wink: it's good for flash (.swf), but not for now days "video". not updated for a few years
- FlashBack Express: most people think it's the winner  -- until they get to know ActivePresenter  :)

ActivePresenter is  a recorder, so it can:
- capture area, window, full screen, fixed size(some predefined size)
+ use predifined and DIY profile: mouse, click, input, video, fps, audio , hotkey...
+ change screen resolution in AP

But it's more than a recorder, you can even use it as an audio video edtiro:
- add recordings into project
- also import image\ video\ office documents into project
- split/ cut video
- add annotation: shape, text, highlight, spotlight. and for each element, you can set the fore and background color, fonts, size, time span, fade in/out ...
- recording while edit
- automatic audio via Text to Speech engine

For publish, AP can export to:
- Video (MP4, FLV, AVI, WMV, WebM, MKV)
- Images (PNG, JPEG)
- pro versions can also export to HTML, interactive Flash and HTML5 simulation, or other document formats (PDF, DOCX, PPTX, XLSX).

visit http://atomisystems.com/activepresenter/free-edition/ for more information
If someone are interested in the Pro version -- I think the free edition is enough -- I can help to get discount  :up:

z374.pngActivePresenter: most powerful Screen Recording free solution
▌ I use & promote <b>freeware</b>:
▌ vim/7-Zip/Firefox/IrfanView/Wink/Audacity/EverNote/AutoHotkey/GIMP/PDFCreator.........
▌ just at  <b>http://xbeta.info</b>
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:35 PM by xbeta »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ActivePresenter: most powerful Screen Recording free solution
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 01:59 AM »
I'll add a +1 for the free edition, it works flawlessly for me but I do think the Export to MP4 video is among the slowest conversion I have ever seen.

Since the video is captured in MPEG4-AVC in a MKV container and the audio is captured as a PCM WAV file, it should just be a matter of encoding the WAV to AAC and remuxing into an MP4 container which would only take a few minutes.

But they seem to re-encode the whole video stream again which can take hours, (6+ hours for a 3.5 hour capture).

2016-04-20 16_55_41.pngActivePresenter: most powerful Screen Recording free solution

xbeta

• Friend of the Site
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • http://xbeta.info (blog of freeware)
    • View Profile
    • 善用佳软 the best freeware
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 12:13 AM »
……
But they seem to re-encode the whole video stream again which can take hours, (6+ hours for a 3.5 hour capture).

I have no experience in editing such a long video.
But you case brings me more confidence for the quality of AP -- maybe slow, but reliable, not like some other apps which will crash for large file or long time capture.
▌ I use & promote <b>freeware</b>:
▌ vim/7-Zip/Firefox/IrfanView/Wink/Audacity/EverNote/AutoHotkey/GIMP/PDFCreator.........
▌ just at  <b>http://xbeta.info</b>

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 02:21 AM »
Can you customize what your mouse cursor looks like in the presentations? For example can you make it so it looks like a hand with a pointer finger (like hovering over links in a browser) or something similar?

I've been using OBS for the past few years whenever I need to record my screen, but this looks very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 07:39 AM »
……

I have no experience in editing such a long video.
But you case brings me more confidence for the quality of AP -- maybe slow, but reliable, not like some other apps which will crash for large file or long time capture.

There was no editing, it was a direct export of captured video - I prefer to do editing in Sony Movie Studio.

Also, the quality of the export is less than the captured video because they re-encode to a lower bitrate when they don't have to.

If you are not doing any editing within AP and want to use the capture as-is, it is better to not use the Export to Video function of AP and do it yourself using ffmpeg:

Code: Text [Select]
  1. ffmpeg -i K:\10000_Video_001.1.mkv -i K:\10001_Audio_002.wav -c:v copy -c:a libvo_aacenc output.mp4

This will encode the audio stream to AAC and copy the video stream into an MP4 container file - and it will do it in a few minutes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:44 AM by 4wd »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Ugh. Please tell me there's a way to get ActivePresenter to stop yelling at me.

ActivePresenter TOOLBAR.png

I can't stand TOOLBARS IN ALL CAPS. It's so ugly and annoying. . .

EDIT:

This was the best I could do:

ActivePresenter Toolbar (Custom).png

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 07:08 AM »
I have tried Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and IE.  The homepage does not display correctly in my opinion.  Does anyone else have this problem?