ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera browser now comes with baked-in VPN

<< < (3/3)

MilesAhead:
btw Softpedia does have a dedicated listing for Opera Portable 40.x as of today.  :)

MilesAhead:
This browser is very responsive.  But some things never change.  Even though it has moved from the old Opera innards to chrome based, the favicons still do not work.  They have gotten worse.  The only bookmarks that show favicons are non-folder bookmarks on the bookmarks bar.  All the others just show a black shadow.  If it is a folder the black shadow is in the shape of a folder.  If it is a single bookmark the black shadow is in the shape of a page.  Vivaldi is the same thing.  Really weird.

There is no Xmarks support so I can't even try to upload/download sync it in and see if I get lucky.  Dang!

Edit:  OK.  After deleting all bookmarks and importing from Firefox instead of chrome, when I open all bookmarks in a folder in the bookmarks bar, the favicons fill in.  It is a pain to do it manually but I haven't found a "check all bookmarks" type of extension for opera.  I'll get there eventually.  :)

Edit2:  I missed the obvious.  The SlimJet Favicons file was over twice the size of the Opera one.  I renamed the Opera one to Favicons.bak and copied the SlimJet Favicons file.  Bingo!  All filled in.  :)

MilesAhead:
I used to get into it on the old Opera Community about the lack of an AutoCopy function for Opera.  I am happy to see that this chrome based Opera has a nearly automatic copy built in.  If enabled after highlighting text a pop up menu appears when you release the mouse button.  The choices are Search with the default search engine or Copy to clipboard.  I very much like not having to open the context menu just to select the Copy command.   :up:

This feature may be nothing new but I had been holding out sticking with the x64 Opera 12.18.  This is my first go around with the chrome based flavor.  So far there is a lot to like.

Tuxman:
I'm positive that this is rather a proxy than a VPN.

Also: LOL, Opera. They have been dead since their WebKitization. Their good devs are all working for Vivaldi now.

MilesAhead:
I'm positive that this is rather a proxy than a VPN.

Also: LOL, Opera. They have been dead since their WebKitization. Their good devs are all working for Vivaldi now.

--- End quote ---

I gave Vivaldi a good trial a short time ago.  No way it could be my primary browser.  This Opera 40.x 32 bit snaps open even faster than SlimJet.  Whether it will last is another matter.  But FF is dead in the water for me until they fix whatever is killing everything after 42.0.  I guess I have to accept I will be juggling browsers more or less every few months.  Probably the main reason I wrote the BingThing.  It is easy to replace an existing browser button with another.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version