ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Examples of great, intuitive, clever UI design?

<< < (2/3) > >>

holt:
Does it have to be real world? How about this from the film Hackers;

holt:
Linux 3D Desktop
This is a link to duckduckgo images and shows numerous pix; I could wish for something like this in a Windows format.

holt:
I think it would be totally cool to have a game-like 3-D subsection to the forum, where you have to move around in a virtual world of corridors, and either the walls or columns must be clicked on to open files. As a trial concept, I envision an experimental virtual UI which exists as much for the development of the 3-D UI concept, as for a forum of random ideas. Like the original DOOM, maybe keep the pixel count low at first to counterbalance the heavier data rates and prevent stack overloads or RAM lockups. You would need a game-like layout, with users having unique visible bots. Thus, users could interact with each other in real time, as well as with the virtual environment. Like a first person shooter, but no actual shooting; more instead like academia, with dialogue balloon pop-ups over the bots. Invisible spectators might appear as anonymous glowing firefly dots which can move about freely. 

anandcoral:
Hi JavaJones,

if you are adventurous I will suggest the following,
1. Use mouse hover action
2. Bigger buttons or images in place of buttons
3. Change color / image on click or mouse hover
4. Show window in slide and close in fade ways
5. Play some small ding dong
6. All messages, even error ones should be funny, like you are saying to your pals.
etc.

I used to make the above even in DOS, yes. Box graphics to open and slide away, etc.

But as Mouser said, keep an option 'Disable Animation/CPU hog etc.', as user will very soon want a simple cleaner interface to get the job done fast.

Note : Games do not count here. They MUST be very bold in graphics and music.

Regards,

Anand

Deozaan:
I think it would be totally cool to have a game-like 3-D subsection to the forum, where you have to move around in a virtual world of corridors, and either the walls or columns must be clicked on to open files. As a trial concept, I envision an experimental virtual UI which exists as much for the development of the 3-D UI concept, as for a forum of random ideas. Like the original DOOM, maybe keep the pixel count low at first to counterbalance the heavier data rates and prevent stack overloads or RAM lockups. You would need a game-like layout, with users having unique visible bots. Thus, users could interact with each other in real time, as well as with the virtual environment. Like a first person shooter, but no actual shooting; more instead like academia, with dialogue balloon pop-ups over the bots. Invisible spectators might appear as anonymous glowing firefly dots which can move about freely. 
-holt (May 09, 2016, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

What you're describing sounds like a combination of VRMLw and Second Life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version