ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Android - Observations from Long Term Use

(1/2) > >>

wraith808:
I purchased a couple of Android devices, and have been trying to remove myself from the iDevice infrastructure with this being a first step.  I am now back to using my iDevices full time.  How did that happen?  And what went wrong?  I'm just putting this here to get people to chime in.  Many say it's because I got a Samsung device.  But the problems I have are not specific to the interface, but rather intrinsic things in the device.  I'll lay them out, and people can chime in.

cranioscopical:
I found my Samsung phone annoying until I rooted it and kicked off some off the junk (a lot of which came from Google, and that seems to be ever increasing).

My Nexus 10 tablet was bought to consume stuff. I don't like laptops and they're too cumbersome for what I need these days. The Nexus 10 meets my needs when I'm away from the desktop but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't use it to produce much. I treat it entirely as a means to entertain (sometimes inform) myself. Samsung made the Nexus 10 btw and I've found nothing inherently bad about Samsung hardware.

Right now I'm wavering between a Surface 4 pro and the larger of the iPad plus models. That's because I'd like a larger screen than 10". I'd grab the iPad in a heartbeat except that I know nothing of Apple devices/operating systems apart from a rather lovely audio-only iPod bought years ago and still going strong.

wraith808:
First the pros of what I like.  I got a Galaxy S2 Nook Edition, so my observations will be based on that.

The hardware is nicely made- sleek, but sturdy.  The display is awesome- on the level of (or exceeding) my iPad mini and iPad air.  The price was cheaper, though a lot of that was because they had a trade-in event at Barnes and Noble, and a sale going at the same time, so I was able to get it for a little over $300.  I have the iPad mini 3, so the Galaxy s2 actually feels a bit lighter.  It has a bit less space (32GB vs 64GB), but the SD card (sort of) makes up for it.  I do like being able to purchase from the B&N store directly from the device rather than opening up a browser window to do so.  IMO, Apple is killing themselves with their insistence that they want to be a part of everyone's infrastructure on the device.

eleman:
I find android devices agreeable, provided that nothing is updated. ever.

Updates (of the os, as well as the apps) seem like serving a single purpose: making the device slower, so that you'll go buy a new one.

4wd:
I find android devices agreeable, provided that nothing is updated. ever.-eleman (April 20, 2016, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only problem with that idea is when they update the service to which an app is chained and you have to use the updated app.

Updates (of the os, as well as the apps) seem like serving a single purpose: making the device slower, so that you'll go buy a new one.
--- End quote ---

And this is different from computers in what way?

Same as cranioscopical, root the device as soon as you get it and remove everything that's not required, (or flash a ROM that does what you want, not what the manufacturer thinks you want) - makes for a much more pleasant experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version