ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Homeland Security warns Windows PC users to uninstall Quicktime

<< < (5/5)

f0dder:
but now WMP won't play mp3's and mp4's, whereas VLC plays them, but I can find no way to minimize VLC either to partial screen or to systray (the lower right mini-icon row), and it hogs the whole screen.-holt (April 22, 2016, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
For video playing, go grab mpc-hc and never look back - you won't need to mess around with dodgy codec packs.

It also plays audio, but I prefer something more focused for that.

Shades:
PotPloyer, my personal favorite videoplayer (and part the "trinity"), does play audio and it reduces the size of it's window considerably to show you the necessary buttons and info about the track currently playing.

Having said that, fOdder's recommendation to play audio is better. Some like their tools to include "everything and the kitchen sink", some like tools that do one job and do it well.

Try out any of the "trinity" of video-players, you hardly go wrong with any. Each of them do not require you to install codecs at all to play video's or audio, no matter the format of the video/audio file. Personally I enjoy using the foobar2000 music player, mainly because it sounds excellent, but it also gives you options to add plug-ins to complement the already available tools and you can change its interface to how you like it.

holt:
Is this just their way of lashing out at Apple for not cooperating before?-Deozaan (April 18, 2016, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, it's because QT is a steaming pile of buggy code :)
-f0dder (April 20, 2016, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, once I thought my pc might have a virus, but it was only a head code.

Okay, I uninstalled QT (which BTW helps reduce overload on my 100GB HD & 2GB ram laptop), but now WMP won't play mp3's and mp4's, whereas VLC plays them, but I can find no way to minimize VLC either to partial screen or to systray (the lower right mini-icon row), and it hogs the whole screen.
-holt (April 22, 2016, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
[Windows Key + D] ('Minimize all') forces VLC to minimize to Desktop.

superboyac:
sometimes other software needs quicktime installed to work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version