ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Homeland Security warns Windows PC users to uninstall Quicktime

<< < (4/5) > >>

Deozaan:
I tried (and am trying) the Android ecosystem.  I still prefer my iPhone and iPad.  Got rid of the Mac- that's mostly propaganda, IMO.  But the iDevices to me are better, even for their annoyances.
-wraith808 (April 19, 2016, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMO most Android manufacturers ruin the Android experience by adding their little custom hooks and things into Android. Vanilla Android is pretty sweet. But some of the most popular Android devices (Samsung anything) run a customized version of Android, which has lots of little things about it that annoy me. I wish they'd cut it out and let people experience Android as it was meant to be experienced. But then again, that may just be down to "what I'm used to" in Android.

And this is getting off topic, so I'll stop there.

wraith808:
I tried (and am trying) the Android ecosystem.  I still prefer my iPhone and iPad.  Got rid of the Mac- that's mostly propaganda, IMO.  But the iDevices to me are better, even for their annoyances.
-wraith808 (April 19, 2016, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMO most Android manufacturers ruin the Android experience by adding their little custom hooks and things into Android. Vanilla Android is pretty sweet. But some of the most popular Android devices (Samsung anything) run a customized version of Android, which has lots of little things about it that annoy me. I wish they'd cut it out and let people experience Android as it was meant to be experienced. But then again, that may just be down to "what I'm used to" in Android.

And this is getting off topic, so I'll stop there.
-Deozaan (April 20, 2016, 12:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps we should make a different thread, and you can put your reasons and such there, and I can put my experiences.  I don't think your experience with Samsung is what I'm seeing.  Comparing my experience and pros and cons with the nexus (which a friend has) shows me that the pain points have little to nothing to do with the Samsung customizations.

f0dder:
Is this just their way of lashing out at Apple for not cooperating before?-Deozaan (April 18, 2016, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, it's because QT is a steaming pile of buggy code :)

holt:
Is this just their way of lashing out at Apple for not cooperating before?-Deozaan (April 18, 2016, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, it's because QT is a steaming pile of buggy code :)
-f0dder (April 20, 2016, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, once I thought my pc might have a virus, but it was only a head code.

Okay, I uninstalled QT (which BTW helps reduce overload on my 100GB HD & 2GB ram laptop), but now WMP won't play mp3's and mp4's, whereas VLC plays them, but I can find no way to minimize VLC either to partial screen or to systray (the lower right mini-icon row), and it hogs the whole screen.

MilesAhead:
The thing to do used to be use Quicktime Alternative.  But I see they changed the name to QT Lite and the last version, 4.10 was released in 2010.  In such a case I would recommend trying various players that come with their own local libraries for QuickTime playback.

You can find a bunch here:
http://www.videohelp.com/

Also there are many video forums.  I haven't messed with video in almost 4 years so my info is obsolete.  There is a database on that site where you can specify what formats you want the player to handle and it brings up all matches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version