ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

System tray notification of remote computer status

<< < (4/4)

Stoic Joker:
Thanks, Stoic Joker.  :) Totally agree that the  simple solution you suggested would be more  ideal. Did some experimenting with the printer; it prints great but configuration options are a bit lacking. If I send a job to the main paper tray, and a page is is in the manual feeder, it will print the first page of that job from the manual feeder, even if I've set the manual feeder size/type and the paper tray size/type to different sizes. It's such a good multi-function otherwise we hate to upgrade at this time. I suppose that's just the difference between the small office printer and the expensive printers you find in larger corporate settings.-javadecaf (April 28, 2016, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well... Good News, Bad News.

It's not a device class/cost issue.

It's an almost universal device behavior issue.

The manual Feed tray is also - almost universally - known as the bypass tray. Which means that the default behavior is to ignore it when it is closed, and to bypass all other trays when it is open and allow (virtually) anything to be pulled from it.

So the solution I was proposing requires an additional regular paper tray because the - usually but not always tray 1 - manual feed tray has a habit (again universally) of either not allowing the media type to be set, or of clearing the setting when it is closed.

I don't know what brand/model you're working with, so I've no idea if it allows for/has available an additional tray. But if it doesn't you might consider getting a small/cheap/disposable class laser printer for her to keep on her desk that can be dedicated to low volume check printing. This would most likely pay for itself rather quickly by not requiring a rather workflow disruptive step for everyone else in the office remembering to check what color an icon was before they hit print. TBH - User space one-liners aside...I could easily see myself screwing that one up.

Something like this perhaps: HP Factory Recertified Laserjet Pro P1102W $83.99 at Newegg.

javadecaf:
Thanks for the link; that's a fairly decent price on a printer. Our color printer is an HP and I like it a lot. I actually have a little black and white laser similar to that in storage, but the checks were all misaligned coming out of that  printer, so after fooling with it for a while, I gave up on that and am trying to use this Canon instead. Prints checks well, but there is the sharing issue which has been under discussion. :) So, I'd like to see if I can make a tray-feeder work; just seems easier to align the checks correctly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version