ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

anyone else getting DNS error for easeus.com?

<< < (3/3)

MilesAhead:
It spit out "unknown server" and the IP of the name server.-MilesAhead (April 08, 2016, 01:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't take no for an answer, run a whois on the IP address and it should return who the address block is registered to ... You can usually infer quite a bit from the response.

-Stoic Joker (April 09, 2016, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

All I am saying is that since nslookup can get the server name from the IP but it does not want to use the name to fetch name service, there is probably some list of approved name servers in the WiFi system on campus.  I think I tried one of those FreeDNS substitutions a few months ago and it didn't work.  Probably they figure bypassing their DNS is a why to get free Hulu or something.

It's not important.  Because it was Easeus I thought it was strange is all.  Maybe they don't like that autoforwarding on the return url because they think it is a vulnerability to exploit?  I dunno'.  I don't know any of the network guys who run the show here to ask.  Maybe once I start doing a software development course for credit I'll be more in the loop as I'll probably be with computers instead of just in the library.

MilesAhead:
They do seem to be using DNS to block certain sites.  For example IsItUp returns dns of makemkv.com in 63 ms but nslookup shows a time-out after 2 seconds.  I can see where MakeMKV might be thought to be used to copy movies but what easeus.com has to do with copyright infirngement I have no clue.

Shades:
It is software that is able to talk to hardware on a low level, possibly creating a mess that the IT department can spend hours to fix. Especially in the hands of a user accessing the network through an account that is not meant to do this kind of tasks.

Looking from that angle I can understand the IT department. Still, if the purpose of visiting that website is research, than the block is a bit of a draconian move on their part.

MilesAhead:
It is software that is able to talk to hardware on a low level, possibly creating a mess that the IT department can spend hours to fix. Especially in the hands of a user accessing the network through an account that is not meant to do this kind of tasks.

Looking from that angle I can understand the IT department. Still, if the purpose of visiting that website is research, than the block is a bit of a draconian move on their part.
-Shades (April 18, 2016, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can see being paranoid on the wired school PCs.  But I don't know why it is blocked on WiFi.  I don't know how the WiFi is bridged to the network.  Maybe the modem is just shunted in so that they use the wired network settings for everything minimizing the work load.  Still you would think they would let you set the time on your own PC via an atomic clock on internet.  Even that is blocked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version