topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Spring & Easter Giveaway  (Read 4702 times)

Ennovy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Spring & Easter Giveaway
« on: March 22, 2016, 02:39 AM »
Until march 31, 9 software titels for free.
For instance: a 6 month license for AdGuard.

Go to this site: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/easter/

Source

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Spring & Easter Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 10:30 AM »
Adguard license claims Https filtering.  If that works on Youtube, this program might be a keeper.

Also states, "Note: The giveaway version of Adguard for Windows has no function limits. But the giveaway license key doesn't support free updates and free tech support."  Rather confusing but I interpret that as saying the giveaway version will offer neither updates nor support and after six months, it won't function at all.

Translation: This is not a giveaway but simply a six-month trialware version beyond the normal 14-day trial version always available.  Rather sneaky.  Or am I being too critical?
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 10:34 AM »
I don't read it as saying it will stop functioning after 6 months -- only that you won't be able to update it.

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 12:58 PM »
I don't read it as saying it will stop functioning after 6 months -- only that you won't be able to update it.

Fair enough.  I guess they're at least being honest about how long this will handle all ad issues thrown at it unlike like a lot of those giveawayoftheday programs that mysteriously stop functioning despite being marketed as "lifetime."
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 04:20 PM »
unfortunately the license for Adgard is in line with Midnight Rambler's fear:

Adguard for Windows Easter Giveaway (6 months free)!
Dear User,
Thanks for choosing Adguard that provided by WonderFox. Wishing You Peace, Love and Happiness at Easter and Always! With your kind support, we are able to constantly develop the program and make it much better. Thank you.

Now please follow the steps below to register the program.
How to Register with the Free License:
Step 1, Download the installer at link: https://download.adg...adguardInstaller.exe
(this is full version installer can be downloaded before Mar 31, 2016)
Step 2, install and launch it.
Step 3, Enjoy the full features.
Note: The giveaway version of Adguard for Windows has no function limits. But the giveaway license key doesn't support free updates and free tech support.
-License-Adgard
2016-03-23_222058.gif

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Translation: This is not a giveaway but simply a six-month trialware version beyond the normal 14-day trial version always available.  Rather sneaky.  Or am I being too critical?
-Midnight Rambler (March 22, 2016, 10:30 AM)

I agree with this interpretation. I think it's a 6-month license. (aka 6 month trial)

That said, I find AdGuard worth the money, and have paid for a lifetime license for my devices when it was mentioned here last year. :Thmbsup:

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:01 PM »
Adguard license claims Https filtering.  If that works on Youtube, this program might be a keeper.
-Midnight Rambler (March 22, 2016, 10:30 AM)
I wouldn't touch a standalone application doing HTTPS filtering with a 10-foot pole.

It requires either basically setting up a MITM proxy (and there's pretty much nobody that does that correctly, it adds tons of potential security holes, and makes it really hard to see your real protection status from the browser) - or it can be done via API hooking, which is somewhat better, but something that a lot of people get terribly wrong as well.

A browser extension doing the same thing can be fine, since it works at a different level.
- carpe noctem