ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Twist Tie alternative?

<< < (2/9) > >>

holt:
sheep shank knot
"The sheepshank is a type of knot that is used to shorten a rope or take up slack. This knot is not stable. It will fall apart under too much load or too little load."
So next, you need to learn how to set a line of pegs in a deadhead beam, to 'load' them under their own weight. Never t'fear, we'll make a proper seafarer and star voyager out of you yet, Matey.  :up:
PS - i was half kidding around, but I do seem to recall seeing where professional work crews use big wall pegs to hang up aircraft refueling hoses or electrical cable sets between service jobs on ships or at airports and such like.

MilesAhead:
sheep shank knot
"The sheepshank is a type of knot that is used to shorten a rope or take up slack. This knot is not stable. It will fall apart under too much load or too little load."
So next, you need to learn how to set a line of pegs in a deadhead beam, to 'load' them under their own weight. Never t'fear, we'll make a proper seafarer and star voyager out of you yet, Matey.  :up:
-holt (April 06, 2016, 11:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I saw some tutorials how to loop cord first one way, then the other, so that the cord does not develop a tension from being wrapped one way.  Looks like it works for stuff with room to store.  But I am basically looking for a way for a dozen different things in my cord/earphone bag to peacefully coexist.  I haven't seen the velcro.  Perhaps they will have some in a dollar store.  But I suspect the twisty tie will end up being the cheapest solution.

I also saw some tutorials for figure 8 knots.  But in comments people pointed out bending the internal wire is not conducive to long life.  Not that the earbuds last long anyway.

MilesAhead:
I found these at Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/8-x-Portable-Fish-Bone-Shape-Rubber-Earphone-Earbuds-Cable-Cord-Winder-Wire-Wrap/47593384

With free shipping it looks worth a try.  Eight "fish" should be all I need for earbud wires.  For heavier stuff like USB cable a regular twist tie should be good enough.  I just need to find a geek to bum some off.  :)

Stoic Joker:
I just thought someone may have invented a home made thing like a rubber lined alligator clip.
-MilesAhead (April 06, 2016, 08:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

this reminds me, I saw someone recommending hair clips for bundling cords (though IIRC they were talking about power cords, but the principle applies  ;))
-Target (April 06, 2016, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Along those lines are the rubber band style hair ties. And having had long hair for the past - many decades - I've found occasion to use them for all sorts of things in a pinch. It's really just like using a rubber band, except hair ties are a larger easier to use diameter.

Did I mention they're ultra cheap?

40hz:
I use a small square of heavy illustration board like Bainbridge. I punch a hole and cut a slit on each end, stick one end of of the wire in the notch, then wrap, and hook the other end in the other notch. Since I make them individually I can size them for a perfect fit every time. And since I'm using scrap board, they cost me nothing to make or replace once they get worn out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version