ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A really cool modern visual illusion

<< < (4/4)

IainB:
@superboyac:
In my recent explorations into drawing and shading, I've learned that the default way to shade is to assume the light is coming from the upper left.
--- End quote ---
Well, in Nature, the light source moves from East to West, and is higher than us, or "overhead" most of the time, so that assumption is probably at least two-thirds true!    ;)
Except perhaps at sunrise or sunset when the light is almost on the horizontal, or in far north and far south parts of the world when they get those long winters with the sun seemingly barely able to lift itself off the horizon. Oh, and in Hammer horror films where the light often seems to mysteriously come from below/underneath when anything scary is going on...

mwb1100:
Hey - while checking out various optical illusions and what-not  because of what mouser posted, I found a curious little Windows hotkey that you might find interesting...

Press: Ctrl-Alt-Down.

On some machines (this might be WinXP only and might depend on your video driver), you'll get plenty of-mouser-style illusions...

ada45373:
I seem to recall that the neurophysiology course dealt with the automatic interpretation that shadowing comes from an overhead light source. There are oodles of these essential processes about which we are unaware.

This specific illusion is employed in nature as camouflage and mimicry.

mouser:
this one is very cool:
http://www.neatorama.com/2016/09/12/Look-for-the-Dots/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version