ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to encrypt external hard drives using USB in Windows 7 Pro and Home?

<< < (3/3)

dr_andus:
Another option: Fort File Encryption: protect individual files - gHacks Tech News

f0dder:
Another option: Fort File Encryption: protect individual files - gHacks Tech News-dr_andus (April 19, 2016, 02:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Note that a program like Fort is NOT a proper substitute for full-disk encryption! It requires you to work with a decrypt/modify/encrypt workflow, which leaves traces all over your harddrive.

It's probably OK for transferring moderately sensitive material to somebody else, but unless anonymity is involved, I'd personally prefer PGP/OpenGPG for that scenario. And this sentence from their website makes me cringe: "Well designed FortMachine.dll cryptography library available for developers" - you really shouldn't roll your own crypto primitives. Also, "Protect against keyloggers, supports on screen keyboard", while well-meaning, is security theatre - if you're at the point where you try to prevent keyloggers, you've already lost.

EDIT: I took a quick browse through the source code, and at least the FortMachine.dll is just some simple high-level wrappers around .NET crypto primitives, so it's not "rolling your own" level bad :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version