ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mechanical Keyboards

<< < (8/13) > >>

Deozaan:
My largest problem with that is the price.  It doesn't seem commensurate with the features and construction -  the full price they're expecting is $315 USD.  That's the price for a Korean Custom.
-wraith808 (January 05, 2018, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

How else are they going to pay for all the backer perks? :P

Mizraim:
I have the bug. I just completed my first build of the Iris, a split, ortho-linear, 60% keyboard. I'm expecting my keycaps to be delivered today. I've already bought the PCB and case to make another one as parts aren't always in stock. This is a relatively new keyboard, (has only been out for a few months) so the supply/demand has yet to be ironed out.

I promise to get pictures on here once I get my keycaps put on, which will hopefully be taken tonight and uploaded tomorrow.

Price breakdown:
PCB and Plates/case - ~$50 - Found at keeb.io
LEDs and Resistors - ~$15 - The build guide recommends using 470s, but I used 220s on the resistors and 2x3x4 LEDs - LEDs Resistors *note: There are several choices. I got one that had several different types.*
Pro-micro and Header Pins ~$45 - I bought SparkFun pro-micros due to the high reviews they got. I've had friends spend $6-9 dollars on pro-micros and they ran into issues with ports breaking off after a single plug/unplug. These are about $20 each, (need one for each side) but they are sturdy. I'm sure that's not the case for all the pro-micros, but I want this to last and don't want to have to desolder/resolder a new pro-micro if one decides to break. Pro-micro
Switches - ~$20 - Gateron blues/browns. Browns for my alpha numeric, and blues for my modifier keys (shift, function, space, etc) Switches
Key caps - ~$70 - Split purchase between WASDkeyboards and MAXkeyboard. WASD had the color's I wanted, and MAX had the pricing and printing options I wanted.
Solder/flux

Add shipping/handling to this and I ended up around $215 or so.

It'll make more sense once I upload some pictures. I've typed in Dvorak for about 12 years, but I also game quite a bit. I got pretty tired of some games not allowing you to change the keymaps, so I built a gaming layer that removes that problem. I'm also left handed, so the games I can remap the keys, I usually bind on my 10-key. This keyboard isn't your standard, so I built a 10-key on a different Layer, and keep in mind that this is still very new to me, so I'm still tampering with the layers.

Base Layer: My Dvorak layout.
Mechanical Keyboards

Left Layer: Keys to allow for the 10-key while pressing the L-FN key.
Mechanical Keyboards

Right Layer: Keys to allow media and arrow keys while pressing the R-FN key.
Mechanical Keyboards

Game Layer: Left side of a standard Qwerty keyboard, with a few adjustments based on games I play.
Mechanical Keyboards

GLayer: Right side of a standard Qwerty keyboard while pressing the R-FN key to allow for the rest of the Qwerty access.
Mechanical Keyboards

Still a heavy WIP, but it's working so far. I'm pretty happy with the way I have things so far, but I know I still have room to adjust things. I also didn't include some of the less used keys like Print Screen and Pause Break, or Num-lock(Don't need that one anymore) Also, I have the ability to double tap the Shift key and it becomes a caps lock toggle. If I press and hold it, it's just the Shift key, so there are a lot of things like that, that I still need to get a feel for. I love being able to tweak things, somewhat simply, by modifying the firmware and reflashing my pro-micro.

Mizraim:
I've recently heard about keeb.io as a source for some of these custom keyboard builds. Anyone here have any experience with them and their supplies?
-Deozaan (December 18, 2017, 12:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Deozaan, I bought mine from Keeb.io. Only issue I have is the guy can't keep his new Iris in stock, so I had to jump on what was available when I could get it. Luckily, I like what I did get. You can sign up to be notified when he gets things back in stock. I'd love me a steel plated keyboard though... pretty! :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
Thanks for posting about your setup. How'd you make those spiffy layer layout images?

Also, if you don't mind, it would be cool if you updated your post to add links to the various components you purchased for your setup, so everyone could see the individual parts that make the whole.

Mizraim:
Thanks for posting about your setup. How'd you make those spiffy layer layout images?

Also, if you don't mind, it would be cool if you updated your post to add links to the various components you purchased for your setup, so everyone could see the individual parts that make the whole.
-Deozaan (January 18, 2018, 07:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/ I had to modify the Ergodox Preset to look like the Iris. I'll take the time to fix my original post to update it with links to the sites I shopped for parts.

But without further ado... here's my first homemade keyboard.

Introducing the Iris:
Mechanical Keyboards

With the lights out.
Mechanical Keyboards

LEDs off.
Mechanical Keyboards

I had some more pictures taken, but apparently my phone decided today was the day to dump all my camera pictures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version