ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mechanical Keyboards

<< < (5/13) > >>

wraith808:
Quite the collection you've got there!

Approx. how much does one of those things cost to make?
-Deozaan (November 17, 2017, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

It really depends.  In the 40% family picture, there's this one custom one - the kb45p (which is the one on the bottom left).  That's my cheapest one at about $100.  You can make them cheaper- I just had to get custom plates cut which drove up the price.  That purple one that I just made on a whim was about $102.  Both of those prices are without the keycaps.

The economy of scale and quality come into play quite a bit.  One-offs are inherently more, and if you can get a lot of people to join in, they're inherently less.  And mass market is definitely a lot less.  But for a keyboard in a reasonable range, of reasonable quality from a storefront, I'd say about $150 or so without the keycaps.

My wife and daughter's keyboards, I started with a standard keyboard I purchased from amazon, and just got the custom keycaps for the boards.  So those were a lot less, as they keycaps on those are from non-top line manufacturers.

My daily drivers (the two clueboards) were $180 just for the keycaps, and the boards themselves were $229 for the dent and ding board, and 260 for the non-dent and ding. 

Then I had to provide the switches; I tend to get them on massdrop in bulk when they have them, so they were just sitting around.  For 120 gateron brown switches (which is what I tend to run) it's about $25 from there.

My most expensive board is probably my JD45- that was a complete custom with custom case and bluetooth.  OR my ergodox, which I haven't put together yet: 276.98 for the kit, but not sure if I'm going to switch out the keycaps which would drive it up more.

wraith808:
Another one I just put together (did I mention I have a problem)

Mechanical Keyboards
Mechanical Keyboards

I need to find either the spacebars for this kit, or another set to put on it, as I didn't have the foresight to purchase a split spacebar kit when I got in the buy for these keycaps.

mouser:
Whoa those are pretty cool.. Maybe we can commission one from you as a NANY prize..

Target:
curious about recommendations for a mechanical keyboard nooby.

I'm interested in getting a tenkeyless board (nothing as extreme as 40%!) but all these switches and options mean nothing to me, and spending $140+ a time to test a keyboard isn't in my budget

tomos:
curious about recommendations for a mechanical keyboard nooby.

I'm interested in getting a tenkeyless board (nothing as extreme as 40%!) but all these switches and options mean nothing to me, and spending $140+ a time to test a keyboard isn't in my budget
-Target (December 17, 2017, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

below a 68key board (no F keys) recommended by wraith. If you scroll down (on amazon) it gets compared with a few others that also might suit

the Qisan keyboards are pretty nice for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Qisan-Mechanical-Backlight-Cable-White-Magicforce/dp/B01872MCIA

The browns are more for some reason... the blacks and blues are a lot less.  On this particular keyboard, you're giving up the function row (which can be accessed using the function key) and the numeric keypad.  It's a good tradeoff.
-wraith808 (May 25, 2016, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version