ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mechanical Keyboards

(1/13) > >>

wraith808:
Is anyone else overly interested in mechanical keyboards and buying/modding/making them?

I discovered that there was a difference quite by accident.  I've been using a logitech k811 to connect to my laptop while it's docked and still have the keyboard in front of me- just in case multiplicity isn't responding, or I don't want to switch screens (gaming and such).  I realized that the size felt better to me, after typing on it for a prolonged period.  And I never took the time to program my Orion Spark or indeed, any of my massive keyboards before it.  Nor did I really care about the lighting patterns.

I was going to begin with the infinity 60% on massdrop, but got cold feet, and instead started with a Poker 3 (MX Brown).  Shortly after that, I ordered a Poker 3 (MX Clear) for work, and haven't looked back!  I just got a Qisan 68-key (MX Brown) to replace that k811, and it's working great.  Still haven't decided if that's better than using the function layers to get to the additional keys.  Now I'm looking at trying a planck or preonic keyboard- but those have to have the switches soldered, and my soldering days were long ago, and not sure if I want to get to that point.  I'm also negotiating for a Race2 on Reddit.

If you're interested, and not already in on it, the best communities I've found are at deskthority and geekhack and reddit (mk and mechmarket).  I've bought all of my goodies from massdrop and amazon, though I did delve a bit into AliExpress and Store Uni.

Anyone else caught this particular bug?

mrHappy:
Luckily have not caught that bug, as such.
Have the same old filco tkl for years, and finally payed enough attention to actually get in a groupbuy (round 5) on deskthority so I'm set, at least until round 7 unless I'm not interested in those keys.

Only board I'm still interested in is a 60% iso, for which I unfortunately still would have to buy keys for since no one makes a DK version.

wraith808:
Luckily have not caught that bug, as such.
Have the same old filco tkl for years, and finally payed enough attention to actually get in a groupbuy (round 5) on deskthority so I'm set, at least until round 7 unless I'm not interested in those keys.

Only board I'm still interested in is a 60% iso, for which I unfortunately still would have to buy keys for since no one makes a DK version.
-mrHappy (March 31, 2016, 12:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

How do the 'rounds' work on Deskthority?  I surmise that they're group buys, and the ones left over are from the minimum production run and cancellations, but I haven't actually seen it spelled out.

mrHappy:
basically that, at least that is also how I understand it.
It's definitely worth keeping an eye open and get in before the deadline of a group buy so you're certain to get what you want, that is unless there's not enough interest in one of the kits you've selected.

Mark0:
I loved the original Model M of a IBM PS2 Mod. 80 I have spent some time with, and then a Trust -something- of some years after that was very similar.
I'm missing the feel of a mechanical keyboard from when I started typing to late hours with people around expecting to be able to sleep! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version