ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wireless mice are hackable up to a city block away

<< < (4/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Next thing you know someone will spy on Tom Cruise in Minority Report and memorize how he waves his arms to access Top Secret Info(tm) on the holographic computer.  Two left arm swipes down, then one right arm swipe to the left then three Seig Heils and your password is accepted.

Shades:
Example:
If the hacker could find out at any given moment which page you have opened in a browser...all he/she needs to do is load up that page and literally retrace your steps with the data retrieved from your unencrypted mouse movements. That would give the hacker a very good idea of what you were doing and how to proceed on 'pawn'-ing your account(s).

Time is always a factor. It looks to me like people expect immediate breaches of their security, because a hacker swoops in, breaks security and robs you blind of information and/or money. But in my (arguably rotten) mind the most successful hacker is the one who has a bit of patience and gets to "know" the target by studying any type of data he/she can get from his/her target. That mouse data would sure help in case social engineering isn't an option.

I'm with Stoic Joker: no wireless <insert whatever such a device here> for me, and batteries are a headache. Not sure why people are so hung up about wireless this or that. The "convenience" factor doesn't outweigh the (possible) security breaches you subject yourself and/or your family to. Then again, I have been accused of being old-fashioned before here on this forum...  ;D

MilesAhead:
Not sure why people are so hung up about wireless this or that. The "convenience" factor
-Shades (March 29, 2016, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

It creeps me out when I see somebody sit back in a swivel chair 10 feet from their desk with a keyboard on their lap to do their computing.  How do they do it?  I took Typing 101 in high school.  If I didn't assume the correct position at the desk I am sure my old typing teacher would come out of retirement just to swat me with her handbag and yell at me!

Old fashioned?  I still haven't used a smart phone or Blackberry.  The only device I own with a touch screen is an MP3 player.  :)

wraith808:
Not sure why people are so hung up about wireless this or that.
--- End quote ---

Helps massively when travelling and in a conveyance.  No one tool for every job and all.

Deozaan:
Example:
If the hacker could find out at any given moment which page you have opened in a browser...all he/she needs to do is load up that page and literally retrace your steps with the data retrieved from your unencrypted mouse movements. That would give the hacker a very good idea of what you were doing and how to proceed on 'pawn'-ing your account(s).
--- End quote ---

Not quite. Again, there are subtle differences that could affect the results. What if the browser was in a tiny window, so the content didn't all fit on the screen at once? What if you were viewing your browser fullscreen on a 4K (or 8K!) monitor? What if you had vision troubles so you had the text at 200% font size?

There are lots of little reasons like this why having the mouse data would be practically worthless.

That said, I agree that it would be better for the hacker to not have the mouse data in the first place! But again, if a hacker can know what website you have opened at any given moment, you probably have other security problems to be worried about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version