topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Hadean Lands Text Adventure Game  (Read 8533 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hadean Lands Text Adventure Game
« on: June 30, 2016, 05:08 AM »
Read a couple of very intriguing blog posts today about this (pure) text adventure game called Hadean:

"The best video game I played last year is a science-fiction thriller about alchemy, and it has no graphics or sound effects"

"Hadean Lands is a game of alchemy and exploration, with an intricate structure of interlinked puzzles. Every ritual you learn adds a new ability to your toolkit. But every ritual requires a different combination of ingredients, and some ingredients are in desperately short supply."

"Hadean Lands offers a highly consistent and fair puzzle system in which the basic rules of the universe never change, but where the player has to learn to think at a higher and higher level. At the outset, you’re worrying about how to get a single ingredient for a particular ritual. By the endgame, you’re thinking about how to chain together all the different rituals you know and how to manage scarce ingredients so that you can accomplish hard tasks before you need to reset."

If you have a significant other, or a child or parent that might be willing to join you for extended puzzle-solving, few experiences are as satisfying to team up on as a good text adventure..

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hadean Lands Text Adventure Game
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 06:59 AM »
I'm hopelessly addicted to text and hypertext adventures. I think I bought every Infocom title as soon as it came out.

Price is reasonable too. And there's a native Linux version! Think I'm going to get this one. Thx for the heads-up!  :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 11:57 AM »
Andrew Plotkin is a legendary coder, without doubt. Did anyone ever play Spider and Web? Genius!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 04:46 PM »
Tell us how it is after you play it.