ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Affinity (Serif) goes head to head with Photoshop & (maybe) Illustrator

<< < (2/7) > >>

wraith808:
But who really needs all that, especially now: I suspect people that might have bought before think would twice about a subscription. Or they subscribe and realise they're not using it enough to justify the cost and cancel.-tomos (March 19, 2016, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I think it's the opposite. Before, Photoshop or the Creative Suite was something like $600. Now it's "only" $10 a month. That seems much more affordable to me, and I think many people agree with that and are actually paying for Photoshop now instead of just downloading a pirated version of it.

But that's just a hunch. I have no evidence to back that thought up with.
-Deozaan (March 21, 2016, 12:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Seems like the mindset I'd expect.  Before, we were using a lot older version of photoshop that we'd picked up at a student discount.  Now, $10 a month for the latest version means that we're on the newest version of photoshop at a pittance.

rjbull:
I think there could be a very big market for almost-as-good-as-Photoshop software.-tomos (March 19, 2016, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
I thought that's what Elements was...  though my impression is that most photographers'  new first port of call is Lightroom, only turning to Photoshop or equivalent when they really need the extra features.

wraith808:
I think there could be a very big market for almost-as-good-as-Photoshop software.-tomos (March 19, 2016, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
I thought that's what Elements was...  though my impression is that most photographers'  new first port of call is Lightroom, only turning to Photoshop or equivalent when they really need the extra features.

-rjbull (March 21, 2016, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Photoshop and Lightroom have totally different focuses.  I think a lot of people get that wrong.  This isn't to say that what you do in Lightroom you couldn't do in Photoshop- for the most part.  Lightroom does have some features that Photoshop will probably never have.  But where lightroom shines is working on them in bulk and seeing the results live and applying wholesale changes to a lot of images.  Photoshop is meant for making significant changes to a photo by using a vast array of tools.  Lightroom is meant for very quickly organizing your entire library of photos and making the most common edits to them quickly.

A very good breakdown on that: https://photographylife.com/photoshop-vs-lightroom

So I think that is a fallacy that one is a substitute for the other.

tomos:
Affinity Designer, Vector app (Illustrator competitor):
Affinity Designer for Windows has entered what’s called the 'release candidate' (RC) stage.
--- End quote ---
https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index.php?/topic/27786-affinity-designer-public-beta-rc9-15035-windows/

Affinity Photo (Photoshop competitor) beta has just been announced:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/windows/

Curt:
it should be mentioned that Affinity is 64-bits only.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version