ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone know any good free font sites

<< < (4/8) > >>

app103:
I have over 12,000 fonts but I don't keep them all in my Windows fonts folder. That would be crazy.

I keep them in another folder on another drive sorted by type.

I only add the ones I will use on a regular basis to the Windows fonts folder.

When I want to use one or more from my other folder, I just click and open them, then minimize them to the taskbar. They then appear in the font list of whatever applications I use(mainly just used for digital art). When I am done, I just close them and they are removed from the list.

This is a great way to temporarily install a font that avoids all the messy stuff that can result from having too many fonts.

KenR:
Hey App,
I planned to keep in a different folder as well, but was not aware you could use fonts just by opening and minimizing them them to the taskbar.  :o You're so smart!  :-[ :-*
Ken

mouser:
one of the key things that font tools do is help you install and uninstall fonts on demand, for just this reason.

f0dder:
When I want to use one or more from my other folder, I just click and open them, then minimize them to the taskbar. They then appear in the font list of whatever applications I use(mainly just used for digital art). When I am done, I just close them and they are removed from the list.
-app103 (July 06, 2006, 12:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's a great tip!

Thinking of why this works, as a programmer, it's pretty obvious - to use a font with the standard windows calls, the font needs to be installed. So the Microsoft previewer temporarily installs the font, then uninstalls it afterwards if it wasn't already.

Another approach for font preview (the one that I would take) would be using a 3rd-party font renderer like freetype, which doesn't require installing the font... but that means this trick wouldn't have worked.

Oh well, just my :two: worth of useless trivia :)

tomos:
heres a short list i like:

http://www.alvit.de/blog/article/20-best-license-free-official-fonts

and
http://www.alvit.de/blog/article/25-best-license-free-pixelfonts

(They are what he calls "serious" fonts  :) so it depends what you need!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version