ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Configure Host file!

<< < (4/5) > >>

IainB:
Oh dear. After reading and contributing a little in this discussion thread, and then in light of that reviewing the thread Windows Firewall Control - Mini Review (which I also contributed to), I am considering caving-in to my obsessive-compulsive trialling habit, and revisiting Windows Firewall Control as a registered user.

4wd:
I am considering caving-in to my obsessive-compulsive trialling habit, ....-IainB (March 03, 2016, 02:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why fight the inevitable?

Besides, there's the money you saved from the RAM burning a hole in your pocket  ;)

IainB:
Well that was quick and painful.

* WFC v4.6.2.2 downloaded and installed without any apparent problem. I verified the file checksum as well, JIC.
* I registerd with a $10.00 PayPal "donation".
* Program activated fine.
* Then it crashed and screwed up some of my Firewall settings.
* Thinking this might have something to do with a recent Win10 update, I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Kill WFC process(es). Reboot.
* I uninstalled WFC via the Control Panel (in the manner prescribed in the FAQ), resetting all Firewall settings to default.
* Then I reinstalled WFC.
* WFC was very slow to start up and started sending notifications but they simply hung/hang (do nothing) when clicked to Action.
* Kill WFC process(es). Repeat step 6.

I've been had. I'm pissed off about it. I want my $10 back.

4wd:
Obviously a YMMV moment since I just completely removed it (including license info and resetting to default Windows Firewall rules) using RevoUninstaller Pro and reinstalled/activated it without a problem.

Send an email to the developer or post on the Wilders Security forum thread.

Shades:
Well that was quick and painful.
-IainB (March 04, 2016, 02:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have had a similar experience with the Oracle XE database software from Oracle. After re-installing this software and using the Oracle prescribed start procedure would only sometimes result in a start of the database, while most of the time a reboot was required.

When I used the free version of RevoUninstaller to remove the Oracle XE software and then re-install, the Oracle XE software worked every time as expected. Since then I always use Uninstaller software to get rid of software.

Most of these software packages first create a restore point, then use the official uninstaller that comes with the software you want to get rid off and when that is finished, it will look in the registry and on the hard disk for remaining entries and files.

Unfortunately there is a big difference between the user's expectation and the actual result of uninstalling software using the Windows control panel option. In all of their "wisdom", the developers of the software you have installed think that leaving a lot of files and registry entries will make a re-installation of their software a breeze. The user likely thinks he/she got rid of every file and registry change that was applied during the installation of this software.

Most 'smaller' pieces of software do remove everything, strengthening the user's belief in the force behind the control panel's uninstall option. After a developer has created his/her program, he/she needs to make a choice which installing software suite he/she is going to use for the distribution of his/her program. There are quite some options to choose from and these are definitely not created equally. This part of the process in getting the (paying) user an installer he/she can use to deploy on his/her system varies from uninteresting to a pain in the behind. Don't be surprised if the developer unintentionally overlooked one or more options for the creation of the uninstaller inside the installer...after all, who wants to get rid of the creation he/she put so much effort in?

That realization made sure that when I read the software creator's recommendation to use the control panel for uninstalling it is always translated into: use uninstaller product xyz instead.

The abilities of uninstallers vary, but the ones I tried all did a much better job than the uninstalling part that comes with software installers.

All of the above also made me appreciate portable versions of software in such a manner that if I need a piece of software, I look if there is a portable version of it. And if it doesn't, I look at alternatives that do.

After 3 years I have amassed quite a software library, yet the control panel only reports I have 32 pieces of software installed (not counting the Windows related entries from Microsoft, but counting MS Office related entries). 6 of those 32 entries are (GOG) games. As a result my system still feels as nimble as the first day it was installed.

TL;DR:
Always, always, always use uninstaller software like RevoUninstaller to remove software from your Windows computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version