ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Configure Host file!

<< < (3/5) > >>

IainB:
The firewall that comes with Windows 7 (and up) is actually good in blocking incoming/outgoing network traffic. And there are (freeware) tools available that make working with this firewall easier, if you find it's default interface intimidating/fugly.
-Shades (March 02, 2016, 07:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's what I had found, and for a while when I was using Win7-64 I preferred to use Windows 7 Firewall Control (purchased in Nov. 2012 for US$30). It was excellent, but under Win10-64 PRO I don't really feel that I need such software any more.

xtabber:
I have some application which always tries to connect to the website. I have one in particular called Total Uninstall 6.
I tried the entry: 127.0.0.1 www.martau.com
But it still connects to the website and pops up as unregistered.
What i want to know is ! How do i know this program is trying to connect to a particular website. Is there a tool that can do that, i already have 2 firewall for this kind of job, but they fail sometime due to hard PC restart and all i have is host file.
-shadowman (March 01, 2016, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Total Uninstall is an uninstaller written by Gavrila Martau. 

It is licensed per machine and checks the registration on startup with a database at www.martau.com to see if the computer on which you are running the software has a valid license. If not, the program will not run.  That seems to be what is happening in your case.  If you do have a valid registration and this is happening, contact the developer.

4wd:
The firewall that comes with Windows 7 (and up) is actually good in blocking incoming/outgoing network traffic. And there are (freeware) tools available that make working with this firewall easier, if you find it's default interface intimidating/fugly.
-Shades (March 02, 2016, 07:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Shades, do you have one or more recommendations for a replacement interface? Thanks.
-Scott_Y (March 02, 2016, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've used Windows Firewall Control for the last 4+ years across WHS2011, Windows 7HP, 8Pro, 8.1Pro, and now 10Pro - I reviewed an earlier version of it here.

Please take note that the last 4 or 5 posts in the thread are about a different program.

Scott_Y:
I've used Windows Firewall Control for the last 4+ years across WHS2011, Windows 7HP, 8Pro, 8.1Pro, and now 10Pro - I reviewed an earlier version of it here.

Please take note that the last 4 or 5 posts in the thread are about a different program.
-4wd (March 02, 2016, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wow -- that's an excellent review of Windows Firewall Control -- thanks so much! Some of the comments therein address other programs I have been considering, so you saved me a lot of time and possible frustration.

4wd:
Wow -- that's an excellent review of Windows Firewall Control -- thanks so much! Some of the comments therein address other programs I have been considering, so you saved me a lot of time and possible frustration.-Scott_Y (March 02, 2016, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, the program interface has gone through a revision or two and there's some new stuff, (eg. time limits for Temporary Rules, Secure Boot (ie. everything blocked at boot), etc) - I should update the review one day when I get motivated enough  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version