ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Configure Host file!

<< < (2/5) > >>

Scott_Y:
CCleaner has an option to flush the DNS cache when you do a clean.  I have it checked and clean before I save an image or snapshot so that old cache info is not stored.

Edit:  Also you may want to look at Revo Uninstaller free. I cannot recall needing anything more than Revo free version and a good registry cleaner, such as Wise Registry Cleaner, to get rid of traces of old programs.

Wise has a free portable version of both its Disk Cleaner and Registry Cleaner. Or you can get them as part of the WiseCare365 free.
-MilesAhead (March 01, 2016, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Miles, can you comment on CCleaner's registry cleaning ability vs. Wise Registry Cleaner? Thanks.

MilesAhead:
Miles, can you comment on CCleaner's registry cleaning ability vs. Wise Registry Cleaner? Thanks.
-Scott_Y (March 01, 2016, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

They both seem to do a good job.  I only had one glitch using CCleaner reg clean in years of using it.  It was fixed in the next release.  It worked so well for so long I did not make a backup that time.  But now I use RegBackup freeware periodically.  Regbackup uses Shadow Services so it can back up all the registry hives even though the system is in use(by taking a snapshot using VSS service.)

I don't have any metrics for how thorough each backup is.  Just a "seat of the pants" feel.  It is difficult to test registry cleaning I imagine because as soon as you run one cleaner more stuff is stuck into the registry by the time you run the second cleaner.  Did the first one "miss" something or is it new stuff just added type of thing.  You might search for comparisons.  But I suspect most reviews will come down to a personal preference.

IainB:
I might be missing something here, but what's wrong with using Windows Firewall to control this?
I've used that for years to disable certain proggies from "phoning home" every time they are started up.

Shades:
The firewall that comes with Windows 7 (and up) is actually good in blocking incoming/outgoing network traffic. And there are (freeware) tools available that make working with this firewall easier, if you find it's default interface intimidating/fugly.

Scott_Y:
The firewall that comes with Windows 7 (and up) is actually good in blocking incoming/outgoing network traffic. And there are (freeware) tools available that make working with this firewall easier, if you find it's default interface intimidating/fugly.
-Shades (March 02, 2016, 07:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Shades, do you have one or more recommendations for a replacement interface? Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version