ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Configure Host file!

(1/5) > >>

shadowman:
Hello folks,
        i just came to know host file maps the hostnames to IP addresses.
Which also means a users can stop ones pc from connecting to any website. This can come in handy to those who uses application from connecting to its mother site. Hope my english is good.
This way, i could block some programs from connecting to there website.

input these prefix in host file.
127.0.0.1 www.mediaplayer.com

I have some application which always tries to connect to the website. I have one in particular called Total Uninstall 6.
I tried the entry: 127.0.0.1 www.martau.com
But it still connects to the website and pops up as unregistered.
What i want to know is ! How do i know this program is trying to connect to a particular website. Is there a tool that can do that, i already have 2 firewall for this kind of job, but they fail sometime due to hard PC restart and all i have is host file.
Which can do the job 100%.

Awaiting some reply. Any suggestion.

ayryq:
Well, if it's connecting based on the IP address the hosts file won't help at all. Also if windows has cached the DNS entry it won't check the hosts file. Fix this by running
--- ---ipconfig /flushdns
Then you maybe need to do some sniffing to see what website your program is actually connecting to. Might be an amazon cloud server or something, who knows.

MilesAhead:
ipconfig /flushdns
-ayryq (March 01, 2016, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

CCleaner has an option to flush the DNS cache when you do a clean.  I have it checked and clean before I save an image or snapshot so that old cache info is not stored.

Edit:  Also you may want to look at Revo Uninstaller free.  I cannot recall needing anything more than Revo free version and a good registry cleaner, such as Wise Registry Cleaner, to get rid of traces of old programs.

Wise has a free portable version of both its Disk Cleaner and Registry Cleaner.  Or you can get them as part of the WiseCare365 free.

shadowman:
Unipconfig /flushdns
-ayryq (March 01, 2016, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Unforunately i tried that, the program shows as unregisters. I am planning to switch it to Revo Uninstaller.Which pretty much does the same thing.
KS.Host Monitor is a program i found, Homepage.
Can this tool do the job.

Ath:
Unforunately i tried that, the program shows as unregisters.
-shadowman (March 01, 2016, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Could it be that it shows as unregistered because it can't reach the home-base server? That would be one of several ways I'd code a software licensing system, if I was asked... :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version