ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

feline ear mites

(1/2) > >>

holt:
My kitty's round hair brush seems to be a vector for ear mites. Will dipping or soaking it in rubbing alcohol kill feline ear mites and ear mite eggs? Or what's a good safe brush treatment?

app103:
Seal the brush in a ziploc bag for about 2 months (or just throw it away and replace it later), and switch to using a metal comb that can be boiled after each use.

You might also want to take a look here for info on the various mite species that can affect cats, and what can and can't effectively control them.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2542&Itemid=2818

holt:
What if I steam the brushes in a double boiler?

Stoic Joker:
What if I steam the brushes in a double boiler?
-holt (March 02, 2016, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Chances are it will damage the brush during boiling, and the left over moisture will cause other problems to grow in/on the brush.

Go with the metal comb App suggested above.. :)

holt:
Possible answers if I want to save my expensive hair brushes; (steel or metal combs would be difficult to use on a longhair tabby with matted or tangled fur):
How to Sterilize a Hairbrush: immerse brush in solution of 1 tablespoon chlorine bleach per 1 gallon or sinkful of water for 5 minutes, then rinse.

How to Sterilize Bottles: in a double boiler, allow the bottles or brushes to steam for 5 minutes.

If I had to guess, I would think hardy feline ear mite eggs might take more time, just not sure how much more time. I wonder if a steam treatment with water that has the proper proportion of 1 tbl chlorine bleach to 1 gal water in it (with adequate ventilation of the kitchen or mad scientist's laboratory) might be even more effective.

I am very annoyed at the cat forum I posted this same question at, in their cat health subforum, for mindlessly deleting my post; my sincere appreciation to Donation Coder forum, which has no such problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version