ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Comparative review of password managers

(1/6) > >>

xtabber:
Infoworld today has a comparative review of password managers.

You need to register for their "Business Insider" newsletter (it's free) to read the full article, which provides detailed comments on each program and a chart comparing their scores on various aspects. For those unwilling or unable to do so, here's the final takeaway:

Which of these password managers should you choose? Clearly, you have a number of great options.

KeePass, despite its occasional complexity, still tops the list of free and open source solutions, thanks to the breadth of plug-ins and its broad platform support. For those who want a free and open source solution, but in an implementation with fewer frills and less fuss, consider Password Safe. (That it comes with the imprimatur of a renowned security expert doesn’t hurt either.)

1Password takes the basic idea behind KeePass and lays on a veneer of commercial polish, making a good thing even better and easier to use, albeit at a cost. Dashlane is even sleeker, with a handy security auditing function, but unlike many competitors its Web version is available only as part of the for-pay package.

RoboForm, an app with a faithful following, has kept pace nicely with the competition over the years (by adding browser plug-ins, fingerprint authentication, and so on), and it offers a lot of functionality in the free version. The best part of Keeper is its mobile incarnation. Keeper is a product aimed mainly at business users, but it nonetheless provides plenty of utility for everyone else.

Finally, for those who want to tame a welter of website passwords, LastPass is an excellent place to start, considering its basic incarnation is a browser plug-in and a well-designed mobile app. SplashID is similarly designed, but much of what it does is executed better elsewhere.

This is a perennial topic of interest among DC members so plenty of older comments on most of these programs can be found by searching the forums.

Tuxman:
LastPass is an excellent place to start, considering its basic incarnation is a browser plug-in and a well-designed mobile app.
--- End quote ---

I switched from LastPass (bad security reputation, payware Android support) to KeePass with KeeFox (in Firefox) resp. chromeIPass (in Vivaldi) and the well-designed mobile app Keepass2Android. YMMV.

Deozaan:
LastPass is pretty good, but I had enough (relatively minor) complaints about it that I went looking for alternatives and decided to stick with EnPass.

It's free for Desktop platforms (including browser plugins) and has a one-time cost on mobile platforms (per platform). It stores your data locally with optional cloud sync via Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, OwnCloud, Box, or iCloud.

I still have LastPass installed as a browser extension (as I'm still getting used to EnPass), but all new passwords are generated/stored in EnPass.

Tuxman:
What does EnPass do better than KeePass, except that it costs money?

tomos:
I switched from LastPass (bad security reputation, payware Android support) to KeePass with KeeFox (in Firefox) resp. chromeIPass (in Vivaldi) and the well-designed mobile app Keepass2Android. YMMV.
-Tuxman (February 24, 2016, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

any chance of a brief pros/cons comparison of those two in terms of usage?
Currently using Lastpass myself (but only on windows).

The 'well-designed mobile app' wont help me on windows smartphone, but I see there is also a Keepass option there (sorry no link). But I'm mostly interested in desktop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version