ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Comparative review of password managers

<< < (4/6) > >>

Tuxman:
Does it have sync, though?
-f0dder (February 29, 2016, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

The password database is one single file. No cloud crap necessary. Sync it in your preferred shared storage.  :D

f0dder:
Does it have sync, though?
-f0dder (February 29, 2016, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
The password database is one single file. No cloud crap necessary. Sync it in your preferred shared storage.  :D
-Tuxman (February 29, 2016, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not good enough - for my use cases, I need something that actually syncs entries, not requiring me to copy a file around.

highend01:
Sticky Password

Windows installation: 1259 files, 98 folders? Rofl!  :down: :down: :down:

rjbull:
I started with KeePass, the 1.xx series, which I still use.  I added AI RoboForm for more automation, which it does well.

When I bought an Android tablet, I installed KeePassDroid because it uses KeePass 1.xx series files, copied via Dropbox.  It works via the Android clipboard, which is a security risk if you run a clipboard manager, as I do.  In search of greater convenience I added Sticky Password (SP) when Bits du Jour had one of their deals on a lifetime license.  I chose SP largely because (a) Win-SP and Android-SP will sync over local WiFi without needing anything cloud and (b) it meant I wouldn't have to buy an upgrade to RoboForm if I didn't want to.  On limited acquaintance, my feeling is that Win-SP isn't as slick as RoboForm at figuring out login details, but it gives you quite good diagnostics and editing features to fix logins that don't quite work.

The Android experience is mixed, probably because of restrictions within the Android OS as well as sluggishness on the part of developers.  Android-SP only supports a few browsers; Firefox, which seems the most universally supported, Dolphin, and UC Browser, but not UC Browser HD which I sometimes use, nor Opera  either.  Success is variable.  Some logins work with some browsers but not others (though I don't use the very latest Android-SP).  To support everything for which Android-SP doesn't have a browser add-on, it offers a "floating window" making loginID and password readily available, but which in itself is little if anything of a step up from KeePassDroid, especially as it goes through the clipboard again.  A problem that sometimes arises is when the floating window sends the required data to the clipboard, but clears the clipboard immediately, so you can't use the data, unless you recall it with a clipboard manager.

I realise the thread is about password managers, but I was surprised and disappointed to find that Android-SP won't fill in details from an identity.  That is, it's OK for forum logins and the like, but not much use for online purchasing.  Given that online shopping is supposed to be going to destroy the retail sector, that seems a big omission.

Daleus:
I've been meaning to try out SpiderOaks Encryptr.
-Jibz (February 25, 2016, 01:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been a LastPass user for a couple of years.  Recently, when Copy shut it doors (damn them) I signed up for SpiderOAK.  I had no idea they had a password manager until now and I have just downloaded it for a try out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version