ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Comparative review of password managers

<< < (3/6) > >>

mwb1100:
Putting in my 2 cents:

I use a Password Manager called SafeInCloud.

I don't use its browser integration features, so I don't know how well those work.  I chose it mainly because:

- the UI hits pretty close to having enough features for me to not feel hampered by it, but is simple enough to be easy to use
  - there are versions for Windows (free) and the mobile devices I use, Android and iOS, (not free, but cheap).  And they all sync without troubles.
  - the synchronization uses generally available cloud services - it's not tied to a single vendor

Unfortunately, the synchronization configuration doesn't let me choose something under my own control (I've request support for SFTP, but there's no indication whether that ever got onto his radar).  So for cloud and sync support, you need to choose between Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive or Yandex Disk. 

While not precisely what I want, in my opinion this is far better than being dependent on a service that's run only by the software vendor.  If nothing else, it gives an opportunity to migrate to another cloud service if the one you originally choose turns out to unacceptable or stops working for some reason beyond your control.  Also, if the developer abandons the product, you still have some hope of it continuing to work.

Innuendo:
Like Jibz, I use Sticky Password. I'm a huge fan.

KeePass is awesome & powerful. It's not as plug-and-play as most solutions, but that's a minor quibble for a lot of people. This was the direction I was leaning before the Sticky Password people upgraded my license to lifetime for free.

Roboform is a product I would not trust. There are a lot of conversations in which their name comes up that leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.

LastPass seems to be the most well-known password manager and appears to be a lightning rod for hackers.

f0dder:
I'm on StickyPassword as well, for two reasons:

1) WiFi sync, no cloud crap necessary.
2) Portable between Windows and OSX (my work laptop).

The OSX version is pretttty bare-bones compared to the Windows version, and it's taking them unacceptably long to add 64bit Firefox support - other than that, it's a pretty decent password manager.

LastPass seems to do too much in the browser, I wouldn't touch it.

Tuxman:
The OSX version is pretttty bare-bones compared to the Windows version
-f0dder (February 29, 2016, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

The OSX version of KeePass is quite OK.  :D

f0dder:
The OSX version is pretttty bare-bones compared to the Windows version
-f0dder (February 29, 2016, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
The OSX version of KeePass is quite OK.  :D
-Tuxman (February 29, 2016, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Does it have sync, though? The feature list doesn't mention it, and that's a crucial feature for me.

Also, "encryption of the database in 256 bit sized increments" is hopefully just bad English...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version