ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Comparative review of password managers

<< < (2/6) > >>

Tuxman:
"Brief". Heh. The problem is that both services have entirely different "use cases". I'll try to cover the more general pro/con.

LastPassKeePassPro
* Pretty easy to set up, just register an account (or log in) and you're ready to go.
* Well-established, highly unlikely to close in the near future.
* Provides a complete infrastructure for you, you won't have to deal with synchronization anymore.
* Many first-party integration capabilities, including desktop browsers and mobile apps.
* Free and open-source software. (I know some people call that a "pro".)
* Many third-party applications to integrate it with anything that handles passwords, including most browsers.
* Portable stand-alone application, won't require you to store your passwords anywhere but on your own machine if you don't want to.
* Supports all kinds of passwords, not only those from your supported browser.
* Lets you choose your preferred "synchronization" storage (Dropbox, your own server, an USB thumb drive, ...)Con
* Many security breaches including potential corruption of the users' password databases, the latest (publicly known) one having happened in 2015.
* Requires you to store your passwords "in the cloud" (thus, on other people's computers).
* Only "freeware" for one platform (desktop or mobile); get a second platform and you'll have to subscribe to their services.
* No automatic synchronization on the desktop, the mainline application always uses a local database. It's on you to update it. (This can be automatized through hardlinks and/or mobile applications like Keepass2Android.)
* No "real" support in case of errors - open source project = open source community.
* Might or might not break on different platforms when the database is saved with a newer application version. (Never happened to me though.)
Anything missing?

tomos:
"Brief". Heh.
-Tuxman (February 24, 2016, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
:D

thanks Tuxman, that's really great :Thmbsup:

Tuxman:
One of them is.  ;D

Deozaan:
What does EnPass do better than KeePass, except that it costs money?
-Tuxman (February 24, 2016, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Using your own table for the KeePass/LastPass comparison, EnPass has none of the cons you listed for KeePass.

* It has desktop synchronization via the optional cloud sync.
* It has support, because they are a real company that earns money, so they can provide support for their product.
* Updates all platforms consistently so that things don't break between them.
For some, that's worth ~$10. For others, it's not.

To be fair, here are some (potential) cons to EnPass:

* NOT free (as in freedom/open source), therefore you have to trust that it works how they say it does and has no backdoors, etc. (This doesn't bother me.)
* Not free (as in price) on mobile platforms. (The only non-free platform I use is Android, and I had enough Google Play Store credits to pay for the app, so this didn't bother me either.)
* The interface and/or user experience is kind of clunky in places. (This bothers me but is relatively minor.)
YMMV, to each his own, etc. :)

Jibz:
I've more or less switched from LastPass to Sticky Password for web passwords. It has the same auto-fill capabilities, but stores the database locally and lets you choose if you wish to sync it through WiFi or their cloud. No linux support sadly.

It's more expensive then LastPass though, but I got the lifetime premium really cheap at a sale.

I still use KeePass for other programs and passwords I want to keep more secure.

I've been meaning to try out SpiderOaks Encryptr.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version