ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software discontinued...help!

<< < (2/3) > >>

pleased:
@IanB:   Thanks for the info.  I was aware OneStore is a server/client affair but yes I have think I must have been using the single user free licence. Unfortunately I cannot locate this key either.

I have version 1.1.1.202

I will follow the suggestions in the replies and report results in due course!

IainB:
@pleased: my testing with OneStore v1.1.1.205 indicates that:

* It seems to function OK in Win10-64 Pro, though it has a few odd quirks.
* You won't need a licence for the default 30-day trial period, and uninstalling it and reinstalling it would probably give you another 30 days. Maybe you won't need a licence key anyway?
* You will thus be able to make sufficient time to provisionally extract and migrate your existing OneStore stores onto another medium - my suggestion would be nested folders on disks, replicating the structure of nested folders in the stores.
Though I quite like some of the features in OneStore, it would still seem to be a bit outmoded and kludgy in use, even if it were not quirky in this OS.
And though I quite like the idea of this software, the wisdom of using a proprietary and obsolete/unsupported database to hold your precious data should be questioned. It is arguably an obsolete approach mirroring what you probably could do just as easily (if not more easily) using a modern Windows PC, disk, and Windows file manager (or, say, something like xplorer²) and Windows Desktop Search.
There are some good alternative PIMs (Personal Information Managers) that are not at/near the moribund end of their lifecycle, and which have similar or better functionality than OneStore. Therefore it is probably an appropriate time to review your requirements in the light of what is currently possible using more modern technology. So don't just go looking for a OneStore twin or clone.
Testing will reveal whether OneStore v1.1.1.202 or v1.1.1.205, or both, will be able to handle your v1.1.1.202 database (stores). However, the good news may be that you are not as stuck as you might have thought.

pleased:
IanB:    Thanks for your interest, I accept your points entirely, and will just be happy to export the files into folders and go from there.

I have successfully installed version 1.1.1.205 on my Win10-64 Home machine but it still refuses to run with windows instantly throwing a 'a problem caused the program to stop working correctly' message.   I have tried every compatibility option and disabled AV & firewall but no joy.

I am sure some simple setting on my laptop is preventing it from running but at this moment it is a mystery what!

pleased:
UPDATE.  Have successfully installed OneStore version 1.1.1.205 on WinXP within a virtualBox but now got to work out how to open my old store instead of the default new one...

Shades:
OneStore does not have an import function?

You could find out where the files of the default new store are stored. Verify if the file name(s) of the file(s) from your old store are the same.

* If that is the case, you can try replacing the file(s) from the new default store with the file(s) from your old store. Make sure to close OneStore down completely (that includes background services if there are any) before you do this. By doing so, there shouldn't be any process 'locking' the store file(s).
* If that isn't the case, you can try replacing the file(s) from the new default store with the file(s) from your old store using the file-name(s) from the new default store. Make sure to close OneStore down completely (that includes background services if there are any) before you do this. By doing so, there shouldn't be any process 'locking' the store file(s).
After that you should start OneStore (and background services if there are any). If it doesn't crash and your old data appears, you are in luck. But to be honest, this method is a 'hail Mary' move and could result in OneStore crashing. Depends if there were changes in the data format/structure of the file(s) created by the version of the OneStore instance that contained all your info and the store file(s) from the newer version of OneStore you want to use now. Crashing OneStore isn't too big of a deal, as long as you copy your old store file(s) into the new location, not move the old store file(s) into the new location.

The version difference between the version you had and the new one seems to be a minor one, so it is quite safe to assume there are no (significant) changes in the ways data is stored. But always remember: assumption is the mother of all f.ck-ups.

Find out if there if there is a function in OneStore that allows you to import your old store file(s) into the new OneStore instance first. Decently written software provides you with an import functionality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version