ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone using Blackbird?

<< < (8/16) > >>

MilesAhead:
Of course, restore to windows default is not necessarily the same thing as restore to what it had been before.

I'd recommend extreme caution as running this tool could arguably be a bit like sticking a screwdriver in amongst a bunch of live wires and trusting in the outcome. A black box approach.
-IainB (April 27, 2016, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

It may be the type of thing to test with a prophylactic program running.  Several free ones I know of are:
ToolWiz TimeFreeze, RollbackRX Home, ToolWiz Time Machine.

These programs that use Shadow Services to redirect disk writes or other mechanisms should be tried out before you rely on them.  Like disk image backup programs, they can run great and reliably on one system and have big problems on another.

ToolWiz Time Freeze redirect all writes that would go to the system partition, to a buffer file.  On my system it works pretty well for some things.  But naturally on anything disk intensive it will bog badly.

I have RollbackRX Pro and ran the Home before that.  The rollback is very convenient but you cannot do some things while it is installed such as system image backups, defrag etc..  But on my system it works well for backing off installs of programs I want to get rid of pronto(along with restoring registry and other settings, system partition contents etc..)

4wd:
Whoops! Spoke too soon. Blackbird is a bit like a blunderbus! I think I shall avoid it.-IainB (April 27, 2016, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

You could use Shutup10 for selective disabling.  Or create a System Restore point, (or use something else), run Blackbird, then run Shutup10 to enable the services you want.

IainB:
Whoops! Spoke too soon. Blackbird is a bit like a blunderbus! I think I shall avoid it.-IainB (April 27, 2016, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
You could use Shutup10 for selective disabling.  Or create a System Restore point, (or use something else), run Blackbird, then run Shutup10 to enable the services you want.
-4wd (April 27, 2016, 08:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks. Those could be good suggestions for potential workarounds, but they don't address what seems to be the real issue - i.e., that the Blackbird tool needs to have these things built-in, and they are not.
It would seem to be just too risky to use, as it stands. Pity. It looked to be potentially a really useful tool.

Curt:
It's sad that I didn't notice the errors that I have today, when I first ran Blackbird, yesterday. But now I cannot access Explorer until it has given up on opening some program. Because of the lack of access, I don't even know what program that is - except the problem has to be due to Blackbird! Right now I am very disappointed - and very embarrassed for having lured others into this BlackHole.
Sorry!
edit: but read my final conclusion Re: Anyone using Blackbird?: "Blackbird must be okay"

Blackbird Dev:
It's sad that I didn't notice the errors that I have today, when I first ran Blackbird, yesterday. But now I cannot access Explorer until it has given up on opening some program. Because of the lack of access, I don't even know what program that is - except the problem has to be due to Blackbird! Right now I am very disappointed - and very embarrassed for having lured others into this BlackHole.
Sorry!
-Curt (April 28, 2016, 03:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.
We've had thousands of users with no issues, this seems strange. Can you provide some more details like the exact Windows version? (build number would be great)
Did you try running Blackbird in Recovery mode? While it may set everything back to Microsoft defaults all options can be customized to your preference after.
If you wish you can reach us at [email protected], we'll get to the bottom of this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version