ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone using Blackbird?

<< < (6/16) > >>

Innuendo:
Now that people have the file, perhaps they can now review the program and let us know whether or not it does what it says it will do. :)

MilesAhead:
Now that people have the file, perhaps they can now review the program and let us know whether or not it does what it says it will do. :)
-Innuendo (February 27, 2016, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if it will do anything useful in a VM.  I only have the Laptop so I am reluctant to do much in the way of experimentation.  Especially when the software is vague about what it does at a low level.

If someone else posts their results I would be curious to read it though.  :D I have RollbackRX and Macrium Reflect to undo bad things that happen.  But as I noted often I am reluctant to use software of the "real time shield" variety.  It usually bogs the system in my experience.  Or if not a performance penalty flaky stuff happens.

Curt:
The 64-bits file can also be downloaded from MajorGeeks, like the 32-bits version can, so it already has earned the right to be classified as harmless. Otherwise MajorGeeks wouldn't host it. The majorgeeks link (on http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/blackbird.html) named "Download @ Author's Site  64-bits" goes to [http://www].majorgeeks.com/mg/get/blackbird,2.html, so it doesn't leave the major's house.

You may contact Blackbird via info(at)getblackbird.net for further inquiries

MilesAhead:
The 64-bits file can also be downloaded from MajorGeeks, like the 32-bits version can, so it already has earned the right to be classified as harmless. Otherwise MajorGeeks wouldn't host it.
-Curt (February 27, 2016, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Something changed somewhere.  I tried that download link using MDC WiFi and the Miami Public Library WiFi, and got the malware warning splash that others did or one similar.  Now it downloads without a squawk.  Maybe it was taken off the hit list.

Blackbird Dev:
Hi guys, I realize this is an old-ish thread but I wanted to clear a few things up.

What's with the malware scares?
Initially we structured the Blackbird exe in a very lazy and suspect way and for some reason the 32bit version was singled out by antiviruses, our hosting provider, and yes, Google, as malware.
Google came into play about 10 minutes after Blackbird was made available on MajorGeeks, showing "Reported unwanted software" on our site when Chrome or Firefox users with checked "Block reported attack sites" option visited us.
That list is maintained by Google.

The only way to remove this is by logging in to your Google account, placing a google-supplied html file on your website's public root dir and letting them audit the site again. That whole process kinda struck us as strange but after confirming the Blackbird 32bit exe was the cause we decided to remove it from the site and asked MajorGeeks to help us out with hosting, which they kindly agreed to. This wasn't a viable option for the future since it's a mess to maintain and looks unprofessional, so we rewrote huge parts of Blackbird and released version 0.9.88 to solve such problems.

One more thing, Blackbird is not a realtime protection application, it doesn't run in the background. It's a Run-Once-And-Forget kinda deal.
Like a certain gentleman and scholar mentioned before, Blackbird is just a fancy script packed inside an exe. It uses "persistent routes" in a neat way to block freshly pulled IPv4/6 addresses.
Working on proper technical documentation for geeks as I type this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version