ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Picasa to be 'phased out'

<< < (3/6) > >>

tomos:
Another good thing about Picasa:
it wont upload duplicates from e.g. SD card, unless told to do so.

Anyone know of another easy way to avoid duplicates when copying files from SD etc. on windows 7?
(This not a problem for myself, as I always format SD card in camera after uploading. But many people like to keep images on their cameras, and *some* people I know upload multiple gigabytes multiple times leading to great fun with duplicate files...).

And btw (and a bit late) but anyone I know who uses Picasa just use it locally.

dr_andus:
Another good thing about Picasa:
it wont upload duplicates from e.g. SD card, unless told to do so.
-tomos (March 16, 2016, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting you mentioned duplicates because that's why I stopped using it many years ago. I noticed that it saved two copies of every image (one that was visible to me, and another somewhere deep in its own directory for its own purposes), and then my online backup software backed up every image twice automatically, which obviously cost me extra bandwidth and storage space. I only spotted that accidentally.

But I miss the easy ability to star photos and get them automatically reduced in size when emailed.

JavaJones:
In my experience Picasa only stores another copy of a photo if you tell it to.

People who "like" to keep photos still on their cards are almost certainly doing so for a bad reason. They should be disabused of their foolish notions rather than pandered to with software features. ;)

Last but not least, Google Photos does do face recognition, plus "object" recognition: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6128838?hl=en
Facebook does face recognition as well, though it's not really an appropriate replacement since it's public by default and has no editing tools. Flickr has some "recognition" stuff but it doesn't yet do individual faces (i.e. your great aunt Gladys vs. your uncle Bob). It will just recognize that there are *people*/faces in a given photo.

OK, I lied about that being the last thing. Personally I don't use Picasa anymore, but I really did love it for its face recognition, and also found it really useful to recommend to many people as a simple, easy to use *local* photo organizer and simple editor. Google Photos has limited storage space unless you cut down the resolution of your photos or pay for more storage, and that sucks. As local storage gets cheaper and cheaper, it's still really nice to be able to store photos on a hard drive! Of course I realize it's only a matter of time before that balance will probably shift, where having anytime, anywhere access is better. Even now the issue of cross-platform photo syncing is a concern that Google Photos helps manage (though not very well on desktop, in my experience). So... yeah, I'll miss Picasa, sad but not surprised it's being discontinued.

- Oshyan

rjbull:
anyone I know who uses Picasa just use it locally.-tomos (March 16, 2016, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's my impression (on limited data) too.

rjbull:
People who "like" to keep photos still on their cards are almost certainly doing so for a bad reason. They should be disabused of their foolish notions rather than pandered to with software features-JavaJones (March 18, 2016, 02:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Some of us old-time film users think of cards as digital film  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version