ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Picasa to be 'phased out'

<< < (5/6) > >>

Deozaan:
@dr_andrus

To be fair, files (or folders) that begin with a period--AKA "dotfiles"--are generally accepted to be hidden/ignored by default. So your backup software really should be ignoring those folders instead of backing them up.

And in my opinion, it's pretty cool that everything Picasa does is non-destructive, since it makes a backup of the originals. But if that's something you weren't aware of, it can definitely be alarming to discover GB of photos you didn't know existed.

Tip: If someone posts spam, you can bet they are going to be banned and deleted, usually within minutes
-mouser (March 28, 2016, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Especially if you click the little "report as spam" link in the bottom-right corner of their post. :)

dr_andus:
And in my opinion, it's pretty cool that everything Picasa does is non-destructive, since it makes a backup of the originals. But if that's something you weren't aware of, it can definitely be alarming to discover GB of photos you didn't know existed.
-Deozaan (May 07, 2016, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I'm glad that I found all these family photos that I didn't know existed, and that I have access to the originals of modified photos.

But Picasa putting these in hidden folders is a double-edged sword. The folders I'm working on come from a family member's computer which I no longer have access to, and neither do I have Picasa installed on my computer. So I could have easily missed these.

I would have preferred if these originals were in a visible folder, so I know what I'm dealing with...

IainB:
dr_andus: That's interesting about those ...\My Pictures\.Picasa3Temp... directories/files. As a long-time user of Picasa (and I recently upgraded to their last release "Sunset" version), I have played about with Picasa quite a lot, and I thought I understood all its little quirks. However, I don't think I had ever come across the Temp folders you refer to. In fact, I can't even find them now - on backups or elsewhere.

Nor had I been aware that folders prefixed with a dot were invisible. Maybe because for years it has been my standard practice to show hidden and system folders/files in Windows Explorer settings, I had forgotten about the dot prefix being invisible. In fact for years I have used dot prefixes in my file naming conventions - a fact which moved me away from Locate32 search to Everything search - as the former can't handle dot prefixes and the author of the proggie said they shouldn't be used (!), or something.
Where @Deozaan says:
-Deozaan (May 07, 2016, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

- I have to agree wholeheartedly with the first sentence. Picasa is a superb image database management tool, and the developers seem to have put a great deal of thought into its design. I don't know of any FREE or Paid image database management tool which has an equivalent comprehensive and stable functionality - which is why I still depend on it.
The second sentence I don't really follow though, because a reading of the Picasa instructions for use will tell you about the non-destructive keeping of originals.
From experience of the digitisation of hardcopy cadastral into images, it is an important requirement to be able to get back to the original hardcopy of any given image, and equally to the original unmodified image of any subsequently modified image.
This is not only because altered images tend to look different depending on the peculiar characteristics of the display type being used at the time - so might look not so good when you migrate to (say) another video/laptop display type - but also (and mainly) because a basic rule of thumb for image data protection is always keep the originals intact because every change is theoretically potentially lossy as it involves a copy/save of the image data (there's some interesting research that demonstrates how this works out in practice, when images are repeatedly copied and which copies are copied again, etc.).

Deozaan:
Does anyone have the installer for the Picasa desktop client? I already have it installed, but forgot to grab/archive a copy of the installer for future use.

I've searched the download sites but their download buttons just link to the Picasa website, which doesn't offer the download. I also tried archive.org but I guess Google used robots.txt to prevent it from archiving the download.

Google really wants Picasa dead. :(

Deozaan:
I managed to come across 3.9.141 (Build 259) which as far as I can tell is the latest version.

Jotti says it's clean: https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US/filescanjob/l7w48jpqb8

DC won't let me attach a file that large (13MB) so I used 7-Zip to make a split archive in 7MB (max) chunks. One fits in this post, the other will be posted just after this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version