topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: crashes on startup, windows 7, since installing latest windows updates  (Read 3809 times)

bschwehn

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,
Today I rebooted my windows 7 machine to install windows updates. Since then, FARR no longer starts, it crashes with a fault in ntdll

(main thread ntdll.dll!_RtlUnwind@16)

Not sure if this is relate to the windows updates, but I am also not aware of any other relevant changes since the last reboot.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks,
ben

bschwehn

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmm, I have removed all plugins (by moving the plugins folder) and farr started again, now I have copied all the plugins back and farr still starts fine. So I guess my issue is resolved :)
No idea what caused the issue and what resolved it now...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I think you were probably on the right track -- it's probably a plugin that is crashing, and your process of moving the plugins out and in resulted in FARR disabling one or more of them.
If you go into the plugin options in FARR it will show you a list of enabled/disabled plugins.

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had the same problem, looked at FARR log, it showed FARREnvironmentalVariables as the culprit. I removed that plugin, everything works.
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.